Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax G lenses on Canon EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Contax G lenses on Canon EOS Reply with quote

Hi everybody!
Does anybody know if it's possible to use the CONTAX-G lenses on a Canon EOS?
Thanks in advance.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Contax G lenses on Canon EOS Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Hi everybody!
Thanks in advance.
Jes.

Hi Jes, you're an early bird! Very Happy

The flange to film distance of the Contax G rangefinders is 29mm but the EOS distance is 44mm, which means the G lens flange would need to be fitted 15mm inside the EOS camera in order to achieve infinity focus, which obviously is impossible. Fitted flat on the EOS mount it could be used for close-up work, like using a 15mm extension ring. Otherwise it would need a converter lens. I've never seen any adapters or converter lenses on sale.

I had a client recently who uses a G2 with a full set of Zeiss lenses and he let me fondle it Smile Absolutely beautiful camera. I was very impressed with the way the viewfinder changes to match the focal length of the lens. I guess this is common on high-end cameras but I'd never seen it before. (He also had a Contax 645 MF camera and lenses, lucky man).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Contax G lenses on Canon EOS Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Jesito wrote:
Hi everybody!
Thanks in advance.
Jes.

Hi Jes, you're an early bird! Very Happy

The flange to film distance of the Contax G rangefinders is 29mm but the EOS distance is 44mm, which means the G lens flange would need to be fitted 15mm inside the EOS camera in order to achieve infinity focus, which obviously is impossible. Fitted flat on the EOS mount it could be used for close-up work, like using a 15mm extension ring. Otherwise it would need a converter lens. I've never seen any adapters or converter lenses on sale.

I had a client recently who uses a G2 with a full set of Zeiss lenses and he let me fondle it Smile Absolutely beautiful camera. I was very impressed with the way the viewfinder changes to match the focal length of the lens. I guess this is common on high-end cameras but I'd never seen it before. (He also had a Contax 645 MF camera and lenses, lucky man).

Hi Peter,

Sometimes more a late owl than an early bird... Wink
This hobby is quite addictive.
Thanks a lot for the information. I'm afraid I'm bidding for a nice Contax-G lens by mistake. I was convinced it was a Contax-Yashica one, until I realized it wasn't...
So if no one else bids over mine, I'll be facing the need of looking for a Contax-G rangefinder as well... Rolling Eyes

Next time I'll be more careful.
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Contax G lenses on Canon EOS Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
I'm afraid I'm bidding for a nice Contax-G lens by mistake.

Oops! Embarassed Look on the bright side - maybe you'll be able to sell it for a nice fat profit!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you really look for a rangefinder cam. They are fun!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jesito
If you get a G90 check those links
http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/g90_mods
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=zt_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fforum.contax-club.org%2fviewtopic.php%3ft%3d9285%26sid%3de8fbbe3b9d3500e16cbd19c026137a44

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Hello Jesito
If you get a G90 check those links
http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/g90_mods
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=zt_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fforum.contax-club.org%2fviewtopic.php%3ft%3d9285%26sid%3de8fbbe3b9d3500e16cbd19c026137a44

Thanks a lot for putting some hope in my bidding Wink. The mods are wonderful, I'm not sure if I would dare to saw the lens...
Anyway, the lens is the one you mention: Click here to see on Ebay. But I've seen the bids going up and being close to mine. Other such lenses are being priced much higher, so at the end I hope not to get it... (I'm not going to increase my current bid).

There are still 3 days remaining, and I'm just 3 € over.
Let's wait.
Thanks again, your pointers have been very instructive!.
Best regards,
Jes.
(BTW, I see you come from Greece, but your nick is somewhat "frenchie"... Does mean "poilu" something in greek?)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big relief... Someone took over my bid.
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bidding has ended in 135€, very far from my bid. Razz

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss lenses are never been cheap players. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful bidding on Contax items, there are (at least) 4 different Contax camera systems:

1- Rangefinders made from 1932-1962, bayonet mount (also used by Kievs and very similar to early Nikon rangefinder mount)

2- SLRs made from 1949 into the late 1950s, the orignal camera of the M42 screw mount

3- SLRs made by Kyocera, sharing a bayonet lens mount with Yashica

4- G series autofocus "rangefinders".

None of these are compatible with each other, except that you can get an M42 adapter for the C/Y bodies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
Be careful bidding on Contax items, there are (at least) 4 different Contax camera systems:
1- Rangefinders made from 1932-1962, bayonet mount (also used by Kievs and very similar to early Nikon rangefinder mount)
2- SLRs made from 1949 into the late 1950s, the orignal camera of the M42 screw mount
3- SLRs made by Kyocera, sharing a bayonet lens mount with Yashica
4- G series autofocus "rangefinders".
None of these are compatible with each other, except that you can get an M42 adapter for the C/Y bodies.

There are other two Contax lens system, one is for the Contax autofocus camera (I can't remember the name right now), a soon aborted project, I know that people have successfully modified those lenses to a full EOS mount for autofocus. Those Contax lenses are rare and awfully expensive even used.
Then there is the Contax lens series for medium format Hasselblad mount. Those are, needless to say, excellent lenses with a huge price value even when used.
They can be used with EOS cameras via an Hasselblad-EOS adapter

Finally don't forget the Zeiss series for the Rollei mount - although not Contax, these are still Zeiss. They can be used with EOS camera through a Rollei-EOS adapter.

I have a Contax G2 with three lenses: Sonnar 2.8/90, Planar 2/45 and Biogon 2.8/28.
The performance of all three lenses can not be described differently than "astounding".
The Planar 45 is probably the sharpest of all lenses that I have.
I have tried to use the Sonnar 90 as a macro lens, holding it in front of my 400D. Incredibly sharp results.