Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Contax D Reply with quote

Hi All,
Just got it from the mail it is a combo with 2.8/35 Alu flektogon. The flektogon was the reason to buy it in a first place and it looks nice and has a lot of blades. The camera is quite dusty .. i have to clean it first, and seems there is a film inside Smile If it works i will try few rolls of B/W too.

Any experience with those ?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho. Congratulations.

AFAIK, the flek 2,8 has siomilar rendition of the 2,4, except that in the corners is more soft and with less overall contrast.

But good lens, I guess.

Rino

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for a while.

Had shutter problems - not pinholes, it just needed an overhaul.

I sold it rather than fix it. I understand that a lot of these need serious work as they don't take the years well.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the Contax/Pentacon series of cameras, and actually did some of my best works with a Pentacon F, which was fixed by the team at CZ Scientific Instruments. The shutter does have a tendency to taper, and the first blind can also run slow, but once properly done up, I found it to be a very potent machine.

Certainly, it is not a very forgiving camera to use and really demands a strong guiding hand for it to really sing. But once you have done it, it is most enjoyable indeed.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually these cameras comes with faulty.

- shutter not works or very slow
- light leaks on shutter
- not work at all

If you start to use film cameras I highly recommend to use shutter tester to measure exact speed save developing and film costs + disappointment.

Wait a minute you have already Laughing

Use a led light pocket lamp and light throw shutter in a dark place to discover holes on curtain.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After cleaning the front glass of the lens it turns there is a lot of fog between internal elements. Also something like fine scratches in the inside - hope it is not actually scratched.

Ah.. will have to see if this can be cleaned.. it will be pity it is very beautiful pre-set flektogon.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
After cleaning the front glass of the lens it turns there is a lot of fog between internal elements. Also something like fine scratches in the inside - hope it is not actually scratched.

Ah.. will have to see if this can be cleaned.. it will be pity it is very beautiful pre-set flektogon.

Pretty common with this lens, don't worry it is cleanable and inner hair line rather fungus path than scratch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/contax-d-carl-zeiss-jena-tessar-2-8-50-t-t46250.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a few of the Pentacon F types myself - most need recurtaining though apart from a Pentacon FM I got which had been serviced and recurtained, neither of which was mentioned by the seller strangely enough.

Looks great with a zebra Flek 4/20 on the front. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re curtain is a big work I think and not really worth, luckily mine is work well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's not Attila - I haven't done it myself but it's apparently much simpler to do on these than it is on an Exakta.

Rick Oleson has a guide on his site that explains it very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, thank you!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I bought a Contax slr few weeks ago. It's a Contax S, Type "D-2" with a CZJ Biotar 58mm f2 Red "T" in it's original leather case.

Probably it was stored in a cellar because it's dirty, the lens has a lot fungus (let's say it's "living tissue over a metal endoskeleton" Smile ), but the moving parts are ok. The focusing is tight but the focus ring can be twisted continously. I think some new grease and lens cleaning could help and I'll be happy Smile.

I was intrested for the lens only, as the body didn't worked well. At home I opened the body (yay, 2 rolls of Fortepan film inside, I'll develop them) and I could manage to release both curtains after all. As I made some "empty" shots it seems everything gets better, the shutter speeds are sounds ok. Now I want to give a try for the body too, because it's not in an overused condition, just somebody didn't stored it properly.

My questions are:

There is a missing part. It's the spindle inside which rolls the film on after each expositions (I don't know it's english name). Anybody can help me to get one?

The second curtain let the light through, so it should be replaced. I'm not expert in camera body repairs, but I'm not completely useless in understandig how a mechanical device works. So is it hard to replace? Is there any difference between two shutter curtain material? Is there any special tool needs? Has somebody a tutorial? Smile

Thank you for your help in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

this is a "classic": http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-87.html with the notes on how to replace shutter curtains on a Contax-S.

This is a very fine camera, despite some negative remarks on it.

I have the one presented to my father back in 1950 or 51, when he was admitted to the Staff Officer's School, equipped with a Biotar 58/2. It was the "family camera" (besides having been heavily used in "field conditions" too) and my first reflex. I can say that it works very fine until today. In 1979 it saw ther replacement of that wire that pulls down the mirror.

E.L.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Elmar, it seems very useful for me. Smile