Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

contax 85 2.8 + new samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

Some samples from today most wide open

OMG, some things should never be committed to memory.

Quote:

To be honest, I never worked out why they were called 'slacks'.

Some superbly funny shots, Poilu.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great eye and a great lens!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! 'slacks' rules Wink

Richard wrote:
A great eye and a great lens!

Yes great eyes, She must be Italian with such a beauty face

100% crop wide open

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one on sale, but it has scratches on the front element? Looks deep. Any opinion. Scractches on WA lens is a no no; what about lens like this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it! If you will use for portraits you will not see any difference. I have an SMC-M 85mm f1.8 PK lens with BROKEN! front glass still makes excellent images. I bought for 20 USD Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
what about lens like this?

have you check the negative feedback of the seller, it doesn't seem honest and maybe the lens is even worst than the photo
75$ doesn't seem high if it stay there but will you be able to sell it for this price or send it back if it is a lemon

now for the influence on quality everything is relative, it depend what you want to see
here it is a little quiz with the contax 85 2.8
one 100% crop wide open is with a b+w 1x and the other is without
do you see any difference?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm strongly considering a 85mm zeiss and this looks nice. I marked down the one that Andy reccomended but my wife threw out the paper by mistake. I have to go back and find what it was. I think it was a 1.8.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
bawang wrote:
what about lens like this?

have you check the negative feedback of the seller, it doesn't seem honest and maybe the lens is even worst than the photo
75$ doesn't seem high if it stay there but will you be able to sell it for this price or send it back if it is a lemon

I looked at seller's feedback and you are right, they are not really encouraging.
From previous experience, depending on the angle the picture is taken, a scratch will appear deep or shallow or sometimes disappears completely. We cannot really judge from the picture. My pessimistic self says - it's deep. A scratch like that indicated that the previous owner's did not 'baby' the lens adding the potential for other problems not described

I wrote to the seller 3 days ago and he hasn't replied yet. That's a good reason to keep the $75 or whatever amount in the pocket for something else. If the seller replies, whatever he states can be used as reason for dispute/refund through eBay/PayPal, a possible reason as to why he hasn't replied yet.

And another, his listing mostly receives a single final winning bid, indicating his start price is high. What that means is, it will be difficult to resell since you were the only one willing to commit to the listed price. Other bids would indicate other are also interested hence good chance for reselling if needed.

I will keep my eyes open for other opportunity and it has already gotten a bid.

Thanks for the warning to look at seller's feedback.

poilu wrote:
do you see any difference?

There is difference, and my eyes and monitor make me like the 2nd more than the first. Caveat:my laptop monitor is not design for good color reproduction and my eyes ... hmmm ..tired eyes.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: 85 f2.8 AE version vs. MM version Reply with quote

Is there a real difference between the AE Version as apposed to the MM version?
-Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 f2.8 AE version vs. MM version Reply with quote

Jim Schemel wrote:
-Jim

Welcome!

In price yes, German made AE more expensive than Japanese MM in practical usage I don't think so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 f2.8 AE version vs. MM version Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Jim Schemel wrote:
-Jim

Welcome!

In price yes, German made AE more expensive than Japanese MM in practical usage I don't think so.

Not really so, Attila.
There are some who would pay more for a German made contax lens regardless of the type (AE or MM), but usually, MM lenses sell for a higher price than AE lenses.
The reason is both because MM lenses offer complete automation on Contax cameras, and because some of the Contax lenses have been redesigned for a better optical rendition between the AE and MM releases.
In the case of the 2.8/85 Sonnar, however, the optics should be the same in the AE and MM versions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their input.I have received the lens and it is very sharp from what little use i have given it so far.

I do have another question.The guy i bought it off of just paid for a cleaning and lube by Contax.The focus ring seems a bit stiff.Not nearly as silky smooth as the focus ring on my Contax Zeiss Vario Sonnar 28-85 zoom.Is this normal? is there a break in period after a lens has been cleaned lubed and adjusted?
Thanks
-Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Schemel wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their input.I have received the lens and it is very sharp from what little use i have given it so far.

I do have another question.The guy i bought it off of just paid for a cleaning and lube by Contax.The focus ring seems a bit stiff.Not nearly as silky smooth as the focus ring on my Contax Zeiss Vario Sonnar 28-85 zoom.Is this normal? is there a break in period after a lens has been cleaned lubed and adjusted?
Thanks
-Jim

Hello and welcome to the group Jim.
Congrats on the Sonnar 85 it is one of my favorites.

If the guy said that he sent it to Contax he must have a time machine.
Contax has been finished since '06. Maybe if it is an MM version he sent it to Zeiss.
To answer your question directly. The focus does not need a break in after CLA. It may fell stiff compaered to another lens however.
The diameter of the 28-85 is much larger than your 85. This will give you more leverage effectively making focus seem easier.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if he said Contax or Zeiss for the maintenance he just said it was sent in and gave the name of the tech.Thanks for the info.
-Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just double checked and here is where he sent it.
Mark Hama http://markhama.home.comcast.net/~markhama/index.html
-Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu

I juts caught the thread - what a bargain and what a killer lens.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Jim!
mine is very smooth but my 28-85 is quite stiff
maybe it will improve with use

Patrick wrote:
I juts caught the thread - what a bargain and what a killer lens

thanks Patrick!

poilu wrote:
Patrick wrote:
the lens is clearly one of the greats, but your eye is even better

Thanks! When I use a Zeiss, world appear nicer Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a fantastic lens to bring instead of lugging a 1.4 or 1.8 around all day. Great photos.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer shots!

The one with the landing pigeon as the OOF area does it for me!

Question - this one or the Planar 85/1.4?