Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax 645 lenses using AF on Fuji GFX 50S
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Contax 645 lenses using AF on Fuji GFX 50S Reply with quote

Having a number of Contax 645s and a set of their beautiful Zeiss lenses, I was hoping to use them on a digital camera instead of having to digitise the 645 with a Hasselblad Ixpress back plus its tethered hard drive.

I bought a Fuji GFX50S not long after it first appeared and fell instantly in love with it. It's a superb camera, the only thing missing being IS - this was rectified in the later model. It was an obvious vehicle to carry the big Zeiss glassware as it should be a match for its 50Mp medium format sensor. While using them in manual focus would be easy enough, would it be possible to find a way to use the lenses in AF mode? Then along came Fringer with a Contax 645/Fuji GFX AF Adapter...

The photo shows the camera attached to the amazing Carl Zeiss 35mm f3.5 T* Distagon via Fringer's adapter. The adapter can sometimes slow the speed of AF acquisition but for landscape and architectural work - my main use for this lens - speed is of no consequence. After updating the adapter's firmware, I was also able to use the 45-90mm f4.5 T* Vario-Sonnar which has been a real joy.

The Fringer AF adapter is an expensive piece of kit - but it does exactly what it claims to do: operate Zeiss' Contax 645 lenses on any Fuji GFX camera. For anyone who has previously invested in the Contax 645 system, this keeps the lenses highly relevant to today's photography. I wish I could afford the GFX 100S, not because I need a 100Mp sensor but just to see how well the old Zeiss glass performs edge-to-edge with such a large sensor...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dream stuff for me...