Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Confederate roses,
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Confederate roses, Reply with quote

which actually are a type of Chinese hibiscus, that have been popular in the south for more than 150 years. They bloom in November.

I enjoyed photographing the stems in winter:

This is what they look like in their "summer," Ferrania 100, FE2, Nikkor 50/1.8, tripod, Walgreens processing/scanning to CD:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series, Paul, I've seen these but never thought to photograph them.
Focus is spot-on, and love Ferrania green! Looks like a blemish on the
film in the last, lower portion to the right of center.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good series and nice colours. Kind of old fashioned.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be my monitor, but I would have 'em underexposed 0.3 - 0.7 stops to get the color better, they do look a bit washed out (the reds especially)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.
Yes, Bill, that is a processing booger on the one you pointed out. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each bloom opens pale pink, but slowly darkens during the day, then turns almost red at day's end as it closes, and dies off the next day.
IIRC, this hibiscus was called the confederate rose because it symbolized the dying of so many young men who fought for the CSA ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good series , Paul !
Love the Hybiscus ,I have some in my parent's garden .Here, they bloom in june-july . Thanks , for sharing and for the history , too .
Regards, Teo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Teo.