Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Very nice find Cabessius, it's a very early one, of the earliest I've ever seen(any that stop down to f22 are very early, late 50's?), older than mine(00008xx), but seen more abuse than mine, it's worth having it CLA'd and have the dents removed from the filter ring.

Yes, I want to CLA it.
Does anyone know about a place to do that in Europe?.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cabessius,

Some folk say that the 000xxxx denotes preproduction/test models or prototypes. There's no definitive proof. There are old stories about them being reserved for party officials etc., with the subsequent argument that these lenses were made tae a higher standard than the others.

The 000 probably means 1960. The first zero or number, in the serial no., was the year of manufacture of Helios lenses 'til 1971, when they started using the first 2 digits. Probably no later than the early 60s as the f22 was phased out sometime around then. You have a rare lens, it's worth a CLA. Mine's is 00xxxx, made in 1961, fitted to a Zenit 3M and sold in early January 1962 ( ah have the provenance, in the shape of receipts and authentication certificates from the build)

Only the START version was made before 1960 (1958). The standard version first appeared in 1960/61.[/b]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
Hi Cabessius,

Some folk say that the 000xxxx denotes preproduction/test models or prototypes. There's no definitive proof. There are old stories about them being reserved for party officials etc., with the subsequent argument that these lenses were made tae a higher standard than the others.

The 000 probably means 1960. The first zero or number, in the serial no., was the year of manufacture of Helios lenses 'til 1971, when they started using the first 2 digits. Probably no later than the early 60s as the f22 was phased out sometime around then. You have a rare lens, it's worth a CLA. Mine's is 00xxxx, made in 1961, fitted to a Zenit 3M and sold in early January 1962 ( ah have the provenance, in the shape of receipts and authentication certificates from the build)

Only the START version was made before 1960 (1958). The standard version first appeared in 1960/61.[/b]

Thanks, awesome answer.
I also think that the numbers depend on the manufacturing date instead of pre-production or gifts for VIPs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VIP thing seemed plausible at the time, but as more serial numbers are seen, it just seems like they started at 0000001 and at some point few years later they switched to a date code prefix.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having some trouble recognizing my lenses by the SN.

I have two Helios 44's (44-2 and 44M)

The Helios 44-2 has a SN of "N7016639" KMZ Glossy black paint + white letters (seeming to be the model 1.a.v1)
The Helios 44M has a SN of "8031174" KMZ

Since almost all examples start with zeros, and the helios version starting with a 7 didn't have a N before the numbers, I seem to have trouble matching them to the versions stated in the post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
i found some Helios 44-2 lenses id like to get for myself...is there any particular difference between 'zebra' https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/big-photo-55956138-4.htm
and non zebra model https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/big-photo-51128398-2.htm ?
as far as i can see, the zebra model is MMZ make, and the other is Valdai.
Also there is https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/big-photo-46365983-3.htm which should be bearing KMZ logo. They all look clean and are reported to be in working condition.
Im personally leaning to zebra one, but would welcome recommendation.

Id be using them with M42 adapter with Nikon D3000 - im just experimenting with old lenses, started recently. Thanks for any suggestion.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be all good for photo, no special recommandation here for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Just found this Helios 44M, however there are certain things that I don´t know if they are right because it is quite different to other 44M´s out there.

Serial number shouldn´t be there right?

Also if you compare the cyrilic word "Helios" it does not match 100% with other samples I have watch. (Specially for the third character).

Is this a fake or it is an actual model not listed here?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early copies of the 44M have serial numbers inscribed on the name ring. They're quite rare.
Humulus wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I have a Helios lens 44-3 Zebra with serial number 900xxxx
I want to ask is about the blade of Helios 44-3 Zebra lens. Is that 8 blades or 16 blades?
And i want to ask why on Helios lens 44-3 the focus was blurred at infinity focus.
Helios 44-3 Zebra. Not Helios 44-2 Zebra
Thank u

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johan_c_1999 wrote:
Hello
I want to ask is about the blade of Helios 44-3 Zebra lens. Is that 8 blades or 16 blades?
And i want to ask why on Helios lens 44-3 the focus was blurred at infinity focus.
Thank u

Hi Johan,

What camera are you using?

It is a possible for lens to be readjusted in the past to match specific adapter.
If your adapter is slightly longer, it'll give you "close-but-not-quite" infinity.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote :

Hi Johan,

It is a possible for lens to be readjusted in the past to match specific adapter.
If your adapter is slightly longer, it'll give you "close-but-not-quite" infinity.

I use MFT camera Olympus EM5 mk 1

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:

Hi Johan,

I think the problem is somewhere else. I have MMZ Helios 44-2 in new barrel whoch is the same as Helios 44-3. the problem with it is that the lens was designed to 'go over' the mount which sticks out a bit on Zenit camera and since the adapters diameter is way over external diameter of the camera mount it cannot even reach the infinity without modding the lens or the adaptor.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johan_c_1999 wrote:
Hello
Thank u

None of the 44's have 16 blade iris', the early silver 44's have 13 blades, most all after that were 8 blade, the first page of this thread list the blade counts.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thank u @aidaho, @olmajti, @Lightshow
It's very great to know all about Helios lens from you guys
Well some that bother me is when I surfed in internet looking for Helios lens 44-3 Zebra. The first that appear was Helios 44-3 Zebra with 16 blades

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johan_c_1999 wrote:
Ok. Thank u @aidaho, @olmajti, @Lightshow
It's very great to know all about Helios lens from you guys
Well some that bother me is when I surfed in internet looking for Helios lens 44-3 Zebra. The first that appear was Helios 44-3 Zebra with 16 blades

I have also seen the "16 bladed" Helios 44-3.
It is a modification where they grab a 44-3, disassemble it, and longitudinally cut all the blades.
That way the original 8 blades become 16.
I don't know how this affects the IQ.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys. I want to ask. Why this helios 44-3 lens can't get focus on long distance.
It only can get focus on short distance
I use mft camera.
The distance of the object was only 15 meters. But the lens already mark at infinity. And the focus was blurred also.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johan_c_1999 wrote:
Hi guys. I want to ask. Why this helios 44-3 lens can't get focus on long distance.
It only can get focus on short distance
I use mft camera.
The distance of the object was only 15 meters. But the lens already mark at infinity. And the focus was blurred also.

Check if your adapter has correct thickness.

Here in the recent thread we talked about how to figure out whether you are getting correct flange distance with your adapter http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fl-and-canomatic-r-adapted-to-micro-4-3-t79288.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the recent thread we talked about how to figure out whether you are getting correct flange distance with your adapter http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fl-and-canomatic-r-adapted-to-micro-4-3-t79288.html[/quote]

Thank u @aidaho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case it's of any interest, I have two Helios-44 lenses, a Helios-44-2, serial number 7781182 made by Valdaï and a Helios-44M, serial number 8057891 made by KMZ. Both have an 8-blade aperture, are M42 mount and are marked 2/58.

There's a certain degree of satisfaction in using the older pre-set lens, but I must admit the A/M switch on the later model is a little less fiddly to operate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Just in case it's of any interest, I have two Helios-44 lenses, a Helios-44-2, serial number 7781182 made by Valdaï and a Helios-44M, serial number 8057891 made by KMZ. Both have an 8-blade aperture, are M42 mount and are marked 2/58.

There's a certain degree of satisfaction in using the older pre-set lens, but I must admit the A/M switch on the later model is a little less fiddly to operate.

I have no problem with the pre-set system, got used to it after using many vintage lenses. Anyway I agree with you that the auto/manual switch featured in the 44-M is more convenient.
What I find very unpractical in a modern DSLR is the full manual step-counting system in the 44M-4, 5, 6 and 7.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone - I am new to the world of Helios lenses and have really enjoyed working with them so far. I have three of them and can post images of all three later, but right now I am most curious about one labeled Helios 4. I am attaching a photo (sorry for the phone shot and dust). I cannot find information anywhere on this particular version and am wondering if anyone here knows anything about it. It has an M39 mount and 8 blades. Silver body and goes to f/16.

Internet searches do not show any results for Helios 4. The person that I purchased this lens from claimed that it is the same as a 44-2, but I don't think that it is exactly. My 44-2 renders differently and is far more swirly.

This particular lens is not in optimal condition. Both front and rear elements have scratches, there is a little dust inside, and a dent on the front. It is not as sharp as my other two, but that may owe to the scratches.

Any info that anyone has on this lens would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by abuttolph on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted post as abuttolf has his pic up now.

Last edited by Sciolist on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post for some reason. Apologies for mucking up the thread.

Last edited by Sciolist on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Deleted post as abuttolf has his pic up now.

Thanks.