Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
jrsilva wrote:
antico wrote:
Select the diaphragm you want to use for the picture, turn the ring with the red arrow and the lens is diaphragmed to the selected f stop.
If you select f16 you can use the red arrow ring to change continously the aperture of the lens from f2 to f16.


Thank's,
but... how can you be sure of what f stop do you select if the scale is inverted?
That's what I was pointing. The only f stops you can be sure are the f/2 or the f/16 because they are on the end of the scale.
To choose any other exact f stop on this model of Helios 44-2 is a guessing game.

Apart from the strange diaphragm ring, I'm very happy with this lens.

The preset part is accurate, you preset it to the f stop you want, say f8, then turn the aperture ring till it stops, ta-da! f8.
Only when you use it from f16 to f2 as a step-less aperture does it get a bit confusing if you want to set a specific f stop, I use it this way often, like when I want to set the DOF to cover a subject, I'll just turn the ring till I see the whole subject is sharp, I couldn't care less what the actual f stop is, if you do want to know, hold the aperture ring in its position, and turn the preset ring till it stops, then you can read off of it what the f stop is.

I just found out my Super Tak 50/4 1:1 preset Macro has it's two aperture rings work exactly the same way as the 44-2(and late 44's), they just labeled both rings, much less confusing, I just used a silver Sharpie to mark the ring on my 44-2.

http://whitemetal.com/pentax/mt_50_40/index.htm


PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i have reach the best image a H-44 can produce on Silver 0xxx KMZ's, 13 or 8 blades being equal WO, just find one of those...If you love your 0000, you'll have the same with those.


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spotted a silver Helios 44-2 attached to a ZENIT 3M camera at a second-hand store but I would like to know a bit more without having to contact the store for now, at least not before I decide what to do.

The mount is M39 and by the logo looks like it is a MMZ model and the serial number is 5039537.

I've searched on the first post of this topic but I'm not sure what is the year (or decade) of manufacture. Any clue?
Is this a 8 blade model?
I know there's a lot of sample variation, but is this version one of the know better ones (sharpness/contrast)?



[/img]


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsilva wrote:
I've spotted a silver Helios 44-2 attached to a ZENIT 3M camera at a second-hand store but I would like to know a bit more without having to contact the store for now, at least not before I decide what to do.

The mount is M39 and by the logo looks like it is a MMZ model and the serial number is 5039537.

I've searched on the first post of this topic but I'm not sure what is the year (or decade) of manufacture. Any clue?
Is this a 8 blade model?
I know there's a lot of sample variation, but is this version one of the know better ones?

1965, 8 blades.


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
jrsilva wrote:
I've spotted a silver Helios 44-2 attached to a ZENIT 3M camera at a second-hand store but I would like to know a bit more without having to contact the store for now, at least not before I decide what to do.

The mount is M39 and by the logo looks like it is a MMZ model and the serial number is 5039537.

I've searched on the first post of this topic but I'm not sure what is the year (or decade) of manufacture. Any clue?
Is this a 8 blade model?
I know there's a lot of sample variation, but is this version one of the know better ones?

1965, 8 blades.


Wow, that was a fast reply Wink
Thank you Calvin.

Is this version worth buying, considering that I already have a Valdai 1983 44-2?


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. I have never own any copies with less than 13 blades. Wink


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
No idea. I have never own any copies with less than 13 blades. Wink


Thank you.
Just one more question: this is a Helios 44, not a 44-2, right?


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsilva wrote:

Is this version worth buying, considering that I already have a Valdai 1983 44-2?


Depends on the price, 50-100$ depending on condition...sharpness and color is pretty the same than 13 blades, lighlty better than 44-2 from 70 and '80. If the price is good, go for it, it's always nice to have different 44 as they are good, cheap, each one is always different and prices are going up fast...
Yes it's H-44 with M39 mount, and the difference with 13 blades is that bokeh is very good on 13 blades stoped down, but you will always see the blades on 8 blades versions when stoped down...

https://flic.kr/s/aHskxvpKPe


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashichan wrote:
jrsilva wrote:

Is this version worth buying, considering that I already have a Valdai 1983 44-2?


Depends on the price, 50-100$ depending on condition...sharpness and color is pretty the same than 13 blades, lighlty better than 44-2 from 70 and '80. If the price is good, go for it, it's always nice to have different 44 as they are good, cheap, each one is always different and prices are going up fast...
Yes it's H-44 with M39 mount, and the difference with 13 blades is that bokeh is very good on 13 blades stoped down, but you will always see the blades on 8 blades versions when stoped down...

https://flic.kr/s/aHskxvpKPe


Thank you Musashichan!
Price of Zenit body plus Helios 44 is 50$


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrsilva wrote:
Musashichan wrote:
jrsilva wrote:

Is this version worth buying, considering that I already have a Valdai 1983 44-2?


Depends on the price, 50-100$ depending on condition...sharpness and color is pretty the same than 13 blades, lighlty better than 44-2 from 70 and '80. If the price is good, go for it, it's always nice to have different 44 as they are good, cheap, each one is always different and prices are going up fast...
Yes it's H-44 with M39 mount, and the difference with 13 blades is that bokeh is very good on 13 blades stoped down, but you will always see the blades on 8 blades versions when stoped down...

https://flic.kr/s/aHskxvpKPe


Thank you Musashichan!
Price of Zenit body plus Helios 44 is 50$


You can go for it...at this price even if the blade is oily and the focus is not very smooth you will be able to do it yourself or make it by a pro.
Only the optics have to be clean...


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my KMZ 13 blades copy at 5 or 6 years ago for a total of $38 from Ukraine. It seems they are even more expensive nowadays. Rolling Eyes


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I got my KMZ 13 blades copy at 5 or 6 years ago for a total of $38 from Ukraine. It seems they are even more expensive nowadays. Rolling Eyes


On the Bay, the price (cleaned lens) is 60-80$ now, 100$ for a mint one, 30-40$ is a whole price for a pro. If you know someone in Ukrain or Russia, you can find Silver H44 at 10 or 20$...
Even the price of a standard 44-2 is very high now, check the local market, 20$ is common for a nice copy. Golden age is ended Smile


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the optics are clean, and the helicoid is not seized, then it's worth it , they are built like a tank, everything else can be cleaned and relubed.


PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
If the optics are clean, and the helicoid is not seized, then it's worth it , they are built like a tank, everything else can be cleaned and relubed.


The one i'm working on... Very Happy...some old grease...
Bokeh Mir-24H by Yann Dubois, sur Flickr


PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh of a 1965 MMZ Silver H44

Parc des Oiseaux by Yann Dubois, sur Flickr


PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Model ? 44-2 F2 zebra ... age i can calculate teh sn. Reply with quote

WP_20160417_11_39_35_Rich by shobytza, on Flickr
WP_20160417_11_41_37_Rich by shobytza, on Flickr
WP_20160417_11_40_44_Rich by shobytza, on Flickr
WP_20160417_11_39_48_Rich by shobytza, on Flickr


Last edited by Bobe on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Model ? 44-2 F2 zebra ... age i can calculate teh sn. Reply with quote

Bobe wrote:
#1


#2


#3


#4


PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !!!

Some flies with a classic 44-2 : https://flic.kr/s/aHskC3B14o

Papillons au Helios-44-2 + Canon 7D

And comparison between bokehs of 44-2 et 44-M, M4 and M6

Comparatif Helios 44, 44M, 44M4 et M6
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Jotfm9][img]


PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashichan wrote:
Bokeh of a 1965 MMZ Silver H44

Parc des Oiseaux by Yann Dubois, sur Flickr



Hi Yann,

an aperture of 1.4?... so not a Helios lens as described? Wink


PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
Musashichan wrote:
Bokeh of a 1965 MMZ Silver H44

Parc des Oiseaux by Yann Dubois, sur Flickr



Hi Yann,

an aperture of 1.4?... so not a Helios lens as described? Wink


Exif does'nt work with those...this is a Helios-44 @2 as described...only iso and speed is acurate.


PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a strange life story, I'm aware of this lens for more than 40 years and just recently I start to appreciate it's beautiful rendering. Truly poetic lens.
Silver body, Helios 44 (latin alphabet), 2/58, No0106333, KMZ, M39 mount. Does anybody can figure out it's year of manufacture?

#1


#2


#3


#4


#5


#6


#7


#8


PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I got this one, M39 KMZ silver 44 with 13 blades no red P, 00 serial, no Made in USSR mark, not sure the year of production.
Brokeh from it seems not that swirly, maybe I don't use it well yet.










Don't know why can't show the pictures, due to this is my first post here perhaps?


Last edited by ken56k on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken56k wrote:
Hi all, I got this one, M39 KMZ silver 44 with 13 blades no red P, 00 serial, no Made in USSR mark, not sure the year of production.
Brokeh from it seems not that swirly, maybe I don't use it well yet.










Don't know why can't show the pictures, due to this is my first post here perhaps?


Quite good results
OH


PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently bought this 13 bladed Helios 44.
Any idea of the date of manufacture?





PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice find Cabessius, it's a very early one, of the earliest I've ever seen(any that stop down to f22 are very early, late 50's?), older than mine(00008xx), but seen more abuse than mine, it's worth having it CLA'd and have the dents removed from the filter ring.