Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Complete list of Helios lenses - getting closer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it silver? Can you post a picture of the side?
Seems to me that it's a Helios 44 with an engraving mistake.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabessius wrote:
Is it silver? Can you post a picture of the side?
Seems to me that it's a Helios 44 with an engraving mistake.

Yes, it indeed is silver. Here are a couple of shots of the sides of the barrel.

Update: I replaced the second image as I initially accidentally uploaded the first image twice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem like an engraving mistake, unless there's some other documentation somewhere of a Helios 4. But given that it's a 58mm f2 lens, it makes more sense as an engraving mistake. Very cool.

I got my second 44-2 not long ago, mostly because it was cheap. I thought it was silver, but when it came it looked more like it was probably originally black and somebody sanded all the paint off to make a "reverse zebra" if you can imagine Laughing Still interesting, I guess. I would say the reasons I bought it were 40% because it was cheap, 40% because it was MMZ (my other 3 Helios lenses are all Valdai) and 20% because I thought it looked cool. I guess it still looks the same, even if "reverse zebra" isn't a factory paint job lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It very well may be an engraving mistake - I did not even think of that until it was mentioned here. Being that I cannot find information anywhere on a Helios 4, the engraving error is most likely the answer.

koushiro - I have seen some of the Helios lenses redone like the one that you have. Most of the ones that I have seen were originally black and they are being recoated to look like brand new silver ones. I even saw one on eBay where it looked like someone just took some kind of paint to the lens and painted it red - it looked awful.

Just out of curiosity, how much difference to you see in images shot with your four Helios lenses. I now have three of them, but have not yet done any kind of formal comparison, although I can state for certain that the one with the engraving error is not as sharp as the other two, but as I mentioned previously, that may owe to scratches on both the front and back elements. I am interested in possibly getting a couple more of these lenses - I do not have nay from the Valdai factory yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: GOI Helios Reply with quote

Hello!

I managed to get two GOI lenses:
1. GOI Helios-3 7,5cm 1.35 1939 year.

Page from the GOI catalog on this lens:

There is such information:
- prototype lens
- cine lens
- front diameter 64mm
- Rear diameter 42mm
- working length 45mm
- 16 blades diaphragm
- covers the full frame
- lenses without coating
- the optical scheme includes 6 lenses (double gauss)

I think this cine lens is based on the English Tylor Hobson Special Cooke Speed Panchro 3inch 1.3, made 8 years earlier in 1931

and which shoots like this (Cooke Taylor Hobson 3" f1.3):

These lenses are in many ways similar in appearance and size.

2. GOI Helios 10cm 2.0 1937 year.

There is such information:
- prototype lens
- front diameter 59mm
- Rear diameter 38mm
- working length 55mm
- 16 blades diaphragm
- covers the full frame
- lenses without coating

I will be glad of any additional information or clarifications on these lenses.

Last edited by Lexx on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's indeed 2 great peaces of collection, congrats to you!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog Like Dog Like Dog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

In near future I'm going to test on full-frame Canon, I hope this lenses will not disappoint because I plan to use them for their intended purpose - for portrait photography. Cine optics for this is also a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: GOI Helios Reply with quote

Lexx wrote:
Hello!

I managed to get two GOI lenses:

Incredible pieces of collection, very nice ! And it's precious to see how they perform, thanks for sharing !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lexx wrote:
Thank you!

In near future I'm going to test on full-frame Canon, I hope this lenses will not disappoint because I plan to use them for their intended purpose - for portrait photography. Cine optics for this is also a good idea.

Wonderful finds Lexx, congrats!

But it is not FF (24x26mm), it is for 18x24mm film (cine) format (see document top right corner) and also resolution is rather low (quite surpising, between 8 and 16 lines/mm) - but still very beautiful for artsy photography, your pictures prove that already!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Wonderful finds Lexx, congrats!

But it is not FF (24x26mm), it is for 18x24mm film (cine) format (see document top right corner) and also resolution is rather low (quite surpising, between 8 and 16 lines/mm) - but still very beautiful for artsy photography, your pictures prove that already!!

Thank you!

Yes, this lens was made for the format 18x24mm, but I checked the coverage circle - the diameter is about 75mm, which will accurately cover the full frame. This makes me happy. Also, the lens has a rather large rear lens - 38mm.

I also drew attention to a relatively small resolution, but I'm sure that you can understand how this lens can be removed only by making the first real photos. I think the quality should be sufficient because the cinema optics was made to the highest standards. Soon I will be able to show the first photos from this Helios 75mm 1.35.

The photo above I showed earlier an example with a similar prototype from Taylor Hobson 75mm 1.3 made by photographer Jeffo Wong. More photos on Cooke Taylor Hobson 3" f1.3 https://www.flickr.com/photos/44264/albums/72157632031883344

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you luck and looking forward to seeing your pictures here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Wish you luck and looking forward to seeing your pictures here!

I will make such a helicoid
https://www.avito.ru/moskva/fototehnika/gelikoid_fokuser_na_proektsionnyy_obektiv_62.5mm_745879729
and then show the photos from these lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: GOI Helios 75 1.35 Reply with quote

Hello!
I want to show you the first photos of my lens GOI Helios 75mm f / 1.35. It is quite large and weighs more than half a kilogram.

After making a helicoid I will make the first photo on it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 wonderful lens!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I also really liked it, nothing like this before. I took several test photos, holding the lens with my hand at the bayonet. As far as I can see the drawing is very similar to Taylor Hobson Cooke Super Speed Panchro 3" f1.3 . I think the engineers of the GOI USSR took it as a basis when they went abroad to purchase equipment, machines and technologies for the production of optics to develop their own cine lens, but which never reached serial production.

Also interesting in Helios 75mm 1.35 is a translucent dark point on the surface of the front lens. It can be clearly seen on 1,2,3 photos - I think it was used to center the lens during manufacture. I've never seen this before, maybe it's because the lens is a prototype.

After a close look at the GOI Helios 10cm 2.0 (which I wrote earlier), I found out that its optical circuit consists of 4 lenses, not 6. This strongly influenced the curvature of the focal plane - it is very curve like most 4 lens lenses. It looks like it was a transitional version to the cine Helios 10cm 2.0 of the 6 lenses that is in the GOI catalog under 1937.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to make some photos without a helicoid. I want to show them.

GOI Helios 75mm f/1.35, Canon 6D

At me while impressions mixed, much is still not clear. One of the most unusual lenses of all that were. What pleases you:
- color rendition, natural
- the absence of a coating of glasses - adds a certain charm, if that contrast can be added
- the picture is promising, it will be more understandable when I make more portrait photos with a helicoid in daylight
- The plane of the DF is almost flat, although initially it appeared to be a curve, without a helicoid it is difficult to determine
- the full frame well covers
- longitudinal chromatic aberrations are not conspicuous or weakly expressed, unlike most fast lenses

What did not like:
- it seemed really weak sharpness, low microcontrast on the open - you have to add sharpness in postprocessing, but again you need to make more normal portrait photos. Strangely enough, the sharpness at the edges of the frame on the FF is sharper than the middle. That would be to try it on a large sensor like the Leica S2 or Fujifilm GFX 50S!

I will be glad to hear the opinion about the first photos from this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice lens you have!

About the "Helius", that's strange story (2 element only). Are you sure it's the one on the GOI catalog? I'm not sure.
First, even if we can consider it's a typo or something like that, it's strange.
Secondly, the shape of the lens does not look the same.
And then, and I think it's important, it is written NKOP. It is for НарКомат Оборонной Промышленности "People's commisariat of defense production". So it appears it was for a military use, and that could explain that this lens is NOT in GOI catalog.
This NKOP existed from 1936 to 1939, and GOI was part of it. It could have been also considered as "side production" of the GOI maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
That's a very nice lens you have!

About the "Helius", that's strange story (2 element only). Are you sure it's the one on the GOI catalog? I'm not sure.
First, even if we can consider it's a typo or something like that, it's strange.
Secondly, the shape of the lens does not look the same.
And then, and I think it's important, it is written NKOP. It is for НарКомат Оборонной Промышленности "People's commisariat of defense production". So it appears it was for a military use, and that could explain that this lens is NOT in GOI catalog.
This NKOP existed from 1936 to 1939, and GOI was part of it. It could have been also considered as "side production" of the GOI maybe.

After a detailed analysis of the GOI Helius 10cm 2.0 lens, I realized that there are only 4 lenses. And I think you are completely right about its history, maybe a version is made for the military industry. And it is not in the GOI album. This photo shows how strongly the curve focal plane, which actually excludes the possibility of using it for shooting::

A few more photos from the ultra fast cine lens GOI Helios 75mm 1.35:

On the next week I will make a good photo shoot when I put it into a helicoid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice and promising indeed!
Looking forward to seeing more of them with helicoid mounted!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Looks very nice and promising indeed!
Looking forward to seeing more of them with helicoid mounted!

To be honest, I'm a little worried about how the lens will manifest itself during a real portrait shooting. Also waiting very much for the helicoid.

GOI Helios 75mm f/1.35

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because we're talking about Helios lenses. I won an ebay auction for a Helios 44 lens and in short time the seller canceled the sale, he lied that I asked for the cancellation even though I wanted to buy the lens. Then he blocked any contact. This scam vendor is on ebay with the name bataychanka. Avoid this seller if you want to buy a Helios lens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 of my helios that does not appear in the first post list (see serial number)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. KMZ
a. silver, Π, "5,8cm", sn "N�000xxx", 13-blades, f/22 - rare
b. silver, Π, "5,8cm", sn "N�00xxx", 13-blades, f/16 - rare
c. silver, "2/58", sn "N�0xxx" or "N�00xxx", 13 blades
d. silver, "2/58", sn "N�0xxx", 8-blades
e. black + white lettering, "2/58", sn "N0xxx", 8 blades
f. black + white lettering, M42, "2/58", sn "N0xxx", 8 blades

Left lens is 1b, the other 2 look to be 1c or 1d depending on blade count, the serials are interesting, especially the left one, the majority of those with the red Π have serials with 00, 000, 0000, perhaps it was old stock that had issues and was refurbished with a latter serial after it was fixed. Hard to say anything for certain with most of these oddball or rare lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on the left might have been built in KMZ, and finalised in MMZ, for some reason (KMZ with MMZ number).

About the two others, I have never seen other silver KMZ Helios-44 with serial indicating the year of production. They used "0" for serial Helios-44 to be prepared for a mass production (same with Tair-11) I guess.
KMZ lens starting with a "2" are quite rare. Here is a Mir-1 KMZ starting with 2.

Some KMZ lenses also start with "1"