Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Color and fast iso
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Color and fast iso Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am a zoom lover user a I like to shoot at daylight at whatever conditions. One problem I typically have is that I leave in Germany and weather is pretty cloudy.

Cloudy weather and slow zoom lens (faster aperture is 3.8 but I love to shoot after 5.6) and shaky hands make the use of hhigh iso needed.
Regarding color films I had good results when I was using superia 400 but rated between 200-320 iso )normal development though)
Unfortunately, though such speed is not enough for the way I shoot.

I am looking for an iso 800 film that I can rate something like iso 500-640 and develop as iso 800 that would give sexy results.

What would you have in mind that can help me?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick to Superia 400 and work out some other way of getting the results you want, such as a prime lens or a zoom with IS or even a tripod.

This was with Superia 400 on a very dark day, Minolta 2.8/28, I think at f5.6:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
very cool shots by the way.. and I still do think I need a higher iso if you know any good film roll.
The fastest shutter speed I have is 3.8 and I love fasts shutter speeds

A

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Hi,
very cool shots by the way.. and I still do think I need a higher iso if you know any good film roll.
The fastest shutter speed I have is 3.8 and I love fasts shutter speeds

A

please explain shutter speed of 3.8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people use Superia 400 and rate it at 800 ISO and use the film's latitude, anyway tests have shown you'll still get a reasonable picture 3 stops over and 3 stops under the suggested ISO on the box. I've used Konica 3200 ISO and Fuji 1600 and 800 with good results...the Konica film is history and am not sure whether you can buy 1600 now but you can still get Fuji 800 though but it's expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see Superia 800 being sold for 6 euros the package.. not that expensive. Have you tried to shoot at 640 iso or around?

I also did not get what you mean using superia 400 and rate it as 800. Do they then process it normally? I do not develop color film my self and thus I need to give it at laboratory to go normal processing. What I have heard is that this film can be shot at 320 iso or so and processed normally

Regards
A

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shot Superia 800, and funnily enough it was a vintage car show in bad light.

Results were good, but not as good as the Superia 400 examples above.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
I can see Superia 800 being sold for 6 euros the package.. not that expensive. Have you tried to shoot at 640 iso or around?

I also did not get what you mean using superia 400 and rate it as 800. Do they then process it normally? I do not develop color film my self and thus I need to give it at laboratory to go normal processing. What I have heard is that this film can be shot at 320 iso or so and processed normally

Regards
A

Well I'm a mainly bright\sunny weather shooter and try to combine exercise on a push bike with photography, but in dim conditions would just use a lens that is at least f2.8 (even a 50mm f1.4 lens can be useful times) or use flash indoors.
In the Uk, certain places sell Asta Vista 400 (Superia 400) for £1 so why buy expensive 800 ISO.... setting the ISO to 800 (for 400 ISO film) on the camera ain't going to make much difference even dev at a supermarket, as long as the exposure of your subject wasn't so far off it was border line even if the camera was set at 400 ISO.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur has a point. A stop and a half under exposed with 400 not going to make too much difference. (i.e 1000 ISO)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The fastest shutter speed I have is 3.8 and I love fasts shutter speeds "

well I drunk too much yesterday. I meant aperture which means that with 3.8 aperture shutter speed goes easily to 1/30 that I can poorly hand hole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The fastest shutter speed I have is 3.8 and I love fasts shutter speeds "

well I drunk too much yesterday. I meant aperture which means that with 3.8 aperture shutter speed goes easily to 1/30 that I can poorly hand hole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poorly hand hole....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so indeed sure
but on the other side should I stop shooting because I have shaky hands (bit of tremor btw)?

High iso can be my salvation... or spend few thousands for a veryy fast zoom lens... or something faster than my 3.8

A

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
so indeed sure
but on the other side should I stop shooting because I have shaky hands (bit of tremor btw)?

High iso can be my salvation... or spend few thousands for a veryy fast zoom lens... or something faster than my 3.8

A

Well you have to make a choice:- just use the zoom in bright conditions and a fixed lens when the light is not so good, plenty of cheap tele photo fixed lenses, and remember as the magnification of the lens goes down camera shake is less of a problem e.g. at 1/30 sec there is less camera shake problem with a 28mm lens compared to a 200mm lens. The other choice is B/W film, some guys use it at 3200 ISO and do their own dev to compensate...or finally buy an expensive digital camera that can give very good colour shots at high ISO. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital is no choice. high iso films is better

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didnt know you have tremors. I have shaky hands but I've never heard it called 'poorly hand hole'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:

As I'm only a film shooter it's a bit depressing at times, but the film companies have stopped R&D on very high ISO films many years ago...if they had spent the money we could be enjoying 64.000 ISO films now with the grain of a 400 ISO film (maybe no grain at all).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the black and white films I guess one coudl choise is to use delta 3200 as is a native 1000 iso film Smile

for the color I would be happy with any iso 800 film that I can shoot as 640 or so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripod or beanbag are the solutions to be reminded!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:

Recent digital cameras can give clean results at 3200, 6400, so definitely better than film.

Add to that very effective anti-shake systems that can give 2-3 stops improvement...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thomas,
where do you live in Germany and what is your official web site?

A