Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Clip-on and D-mount Wollensak 1½ inch f/3.5 cine telephoto
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Clip-on and D-mount Wollensak 1½ inch f/3.5 cine telephoto Reply with quote

The Wollensak Cine Telephoto lens of 1½ inches focal length for Bell & Howell Filmo 8s, also sold as Bell & Howell Telate, is a triplet. The less satisfying punch-through diaphragm leaves again. Pinching threaded bushes and nothing to secure the lens from being screwed apart, a mess. This one cost me $13 with eBay.

$42 in 1948, $426.89 as of today. When bought from the Bell & Howell Company, the price was $46 in 1940, $804.85 today. Theft.

I shall report about other ciné lenses, better ones, also cheaply available now. Not that it were impossible to shoot with Wollensak lenses, but after all these years we must have a closer look at the mechanics and what future they probably have. One could of course stamp fresh diaphragm leaves from spring steel stock, press in pivots, harden and anneal them, and thus breathe new life into such a lens. I won’t do that, just CLA.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Can you tell me how many glass elements are in front. I'd like to clean mine but I'd prefer now more about its architecture before.

Thanks !