Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cleaning Voigtlander Vito: yellow RF patch is back. But...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Cleaning Voigtlander Vito: yellow RF patch is back. But... Reply with quote

The rangefinder in my Voigtlander Vito CLR did not work. It did not give a superposed image at all, so was only usable as a viewfinder. Still Vito is a fully capable, nice and handy camera. In forums I read that cleaning the prism may restore the patch. So I dismanteled the top plate which was really easy to do and no problem at all. You need to unscrew two tiny screws on the both sides of the top plate and one bigger one behind the winding lever.

I supposed to find a kind of non-understandible mechanical mess under the plate. But surprisingly everything was in clear and simple order:

The bricky solid Vito now looked more Leica-like this way. I never thought that the viewfinder is made of a kind of ceramic, with glass inside. Quite a futurist looking part, I schould say.

The cristal element I needed to access, the one which gives the rangefinder patch, was indeed very hazy. You can see it here half-hidden behind the metal bar and the springs:

All I needed to do was to wipe its front with a screen cleaning liquid put on a small cotton wad. When I looked back in the viewfinder window, the patch was back. That easy way to restore the RF was very pleasing.

But quickly I found out that the RF is misaligned horizontally. That was neither very difficult to change. If you look at the prism, on its left, deeper behind the metal parts, you may see a screw which adjusts the prism horisontally. It is not on my photos, as it is difficult to make a clear shot of it inside the mechanism. But it won't be a big deal to locate it. Put the lens focus on the minimum distance (1 meter), so that the RF block shifts to its far left position, and access this adjusting screw with a screwdriver from under the selenium cell. After several adjustments you will reach correspondence at a chosen distance.

What I found out adjusting the RF surprised me. When I successfully reached infinity, at 1 meter the RF was wrong again giving me about 10 cm less than the real distance. When I readjusted the prism for precisely 1 meter (with a measure ruler), infinity was lost again. How could that be? Logically speaking, if you reached infinity, the rest of the scale should also work well. Not in that case. So I readjusted the RF for correct measuring at close distances (1-2m) because here measurement error costs more than one between 20 m and infinity. But I still wonder if there is a way to make it work correctly through the entire distance scale.

Another unexpected thing that I discovered is that the lightmeter works only when its contact wire touches rusty front screw of the plastic construction (outlined with green). Otherwise the meter needle results dead:

And in that copy of Vito CLR the needle goes only up to the half of the light scale, even in the bright light. First I thought selenium was just exhausted. But the needle position does not change when moving the camera from a moderate light to a sharp light. It always remains in the middle of the light scale. And when the light falls considerably, it goes down. So that could be another problem. But which one? And is it easily repairable?

Still, with half-working lightmeter and almost well-working rangefinder it is a nice and handy camera, capable to deliver great shots.

So I put back the top plate, re-inserted the screws and put a film roll in the camera. And here I found the third problem. The taking spool fixed inside the camera, the one which must wind film after each shot, was loose around its metal axle. So when I pull the winding lever, the film does not advance because the plastic part of the spool moves easily around its metal bar. No chance for today!

Do you have an experience in fixing the taking spool in your film cameras, so that it gets tighter attached to its metal pivot? This Vito still is an appealing handy camera. And I'd love to use it with film.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alex : Thanks for your private message.

Yes you are right ! It is not possible to clean the internal viewfinder.
Perhaps I am wrong saying that it is hazy inside ?
Because I've seen a small rectangle inside which seems darker, may be it is quite normal...

The yellow patch of the range finder on my Vito CLR is not really visible but present.
May be it is normal ?
Anyway I found out that the range finder is difficult to use.
Another thing I have noticed is that when I am at low distance, 1-2 meters, the range finder is not really moving.

I have also tried to find the screw you have mentioned for adjusting the range finder.
Not really easy to access ! I thus leave it as is...

The lightmeter seems to be ok on my Vito CLR. But my Vito does not have the wire you mention !

I hve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Voigtlander models evolved during the time of production. That may explain some minor differencies in the camera copies we have.

Sad to hear you also experimented difficulties to adjust the rangefinder. It is an overall very nice camera with a huge and naturally cpmfortable viewfinder. It is still usable even when partly faulty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes it seems that some Vito CLR has the contact and mine not ! I am lucky : the lightmeter is working on mine.
But...
I have developed the first film made with the Vito CLR : pictures are completely blurred !
It seems that the lens is not well adjusted...

I have tried to put a piece of translucent paper inside the camera to see if the projected image is sharp (with Bulb speed) and how it changes when I rotate the focus ring.
It seems that nothing really happens to the sharpness of the image. It is as if the lens is not moving when I rotate it !

I thus have to unscrew the lens to see what is wrong inside : not simple I suppose.