Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cleaning glass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Cleaning glass Reply with quote

I just finished removing fungus from the newly arrived SCM Takumar 55 1.8, using Mal1905's excellent guide. The problem is that as walways, I am unable to properly clean the glass surfaces: whatever I do I can see translucent streaks on the coating, and/or smudges.

Searching on google, I found this guide that seems well done, so tomorrow I'll dismount the lens again and try to soak the element in distilled water+wetting agent, then clean them with acetone (that's assuming I find some pure one).

Any other things I should try? How do you clean lens elements?

Last edited by ludoo on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all lens surface cleanable successfully, some of them unclean-able even with strongest chemicals. If you can't clean with acetone I am afraid it will not work with anything else too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning glass Reply with quote

Hi,

ludoo wrote:
(that's assuming I find some pure one).

Good luck ...

ludoo wrote:

Have you tried some cold cream ? I use Avene's one (but you can use whatever brand is available in your nearest store), some Zippo fluid with q-tips for removing the cream, and finally some optical cleaning fluid to remove the Zippo fluid deposits ...

Hope this helps, but keep in mind that, as Attila said, not all lenses may be successfully cleaned ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask what about just the edges of the lens...I mean I have some lenses that I do not want to take out and clean the whole lens just where it meets the glass and metal rim there seems to be a bit of debris would lighter fluid and a Q tip do the trick?
I have used the micro fiber cloth but it just can't get into the fine gap/edge of the front or back lens and they don't really need to be taken apart fully.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning glass Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Have you tried some cold cream ? I use Avene's one (but you can use whatever brand is available in your nearest store), some Zippo fluid with q-tips for removing the cream, and finally some optical cleaning fluid to remove the Zippo fluid deposits ...

That's exactly what I did. If I angle the lens towards the light I can see translucent streaks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clean into the edge of the glass I use the stick of a Q-tip cut to a shallow angle and a microfibre cloth. Slightly moisten the cloth & use the point of the Q-tip to push it gently into the corners, then repeat with a dry part of the cloth.

For cleaning elements I use 4 or 5 small tupperware type containers. The first bath is detergent, where a clean wet microfibre cloth is used - gently! - to wipe the glass, followed by distilled water baths holding only the edges of the glass. After the last bath the glass is clean. I dry it fast with a filtered air-line. This avoids any marks whatever.

In over 20 years I've rarely needed to use any stronger solvent on glass.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks unclemack Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find some pure acetone at a paint store, and it's the absolute best thing to clean glass that I've ever tried: it dries so fast that it does not leave any smudges on the coating. I plunge a q-tip in the acetone bottle, and quickly wipe it on the glass. I'll try the detergent/water baths with my next lenses, but for already compromised glass acetone might be the only way.

Curiously enough, a while ago I asked cleaning tips to the company manufacturing precision optics where I bought a beamsplitter mirror, and their reply was to use acetone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning glass Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
I am unable to properly clean the glass surfaces: whatever I do I can see translucent streaks on the coating, and/or smudges.

I have successfully cleaned one lens using Eclipse sensor cleaning fluid. It is designed to evaporate without leaving residue, making it perfect for cleaning optics.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this on my refracting telescopes and camera lenses:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=wonderfluid

I find it cleans well and leaves no streaks with pure cotton buds.

Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acetone may dissolve older lens coating; beware very old lens with soft coating.

Eclipse fluid is pure "reagent grade methyl alcohol"; obtain in bulk (liter), inexpensive at chemical supply house.

Cold Cream contains mineral oil, a solvent, and surficants (detergents and wetting agents).

Joy brand dishwashing liquid soap leaves no residue; no spots on glassware or silverware.

Discofilm (used for sensor cleaning) might work on lenses; I have not tried it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CleanSafe optical cleaner and a lens cloth seems to me to be far, far better than Canon lens cleaner and scratchy papers, which just smear accidental fingerprints across the lens.

I think it is designed for spectacles but it describes itself as being for all coated optical surfaces, so I guess it is less risky than soap or cold cream. I thoroughly recommend it.

Old, soft coatings on inner surfaces that weren't designed to be cleaned? Who knows? No guarantees!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think cold cream is used just to remove fungus - I'm not sure it should be used for cleaning lenses...unless I'm mistaken...?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A camera repair guy in London the other day told me he uses Coca-Cola. He dabs it on and wipes it off with newspaper or soft toilet tissue. I guess he uses a clean bit - I mean with no ink on it!

Whaddaya think? It does have a secret recipe after all Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
A camera repair guy in London the other day told me he uses Coca-Cola. He dabs it on and wipes it off with newspaper or soft toilet tissue. I guess he uses a clean bit - I mean with no ink on it!

Forget SMC, sugar coating is better. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

I wouldn't let him near my lenses... Confused

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

OM wrote:
I think cold cream is used just to remove fungus - I'm not sure it should be used for cleaning lenses...unless I'm mistaken...?

I use it to remove fungus and some cleaning marks, although not all cleaning marks seem to be removed by it ...

Cheers