Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cleaning a matte screen...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Cleaning a matte screen... Reply with quote

Yes, I know, we should not dare to clean our matte screen since the risk to damage it is far too high.
BUT...

When I have installed a Leica-R (split image and micro prism matte screen) in my 5D, I was not careful enough and it became a little dirty, pretty much dirty at the top right, to be honest.

Although metering is a bit erratic now, focusing is spot on even at f/1.2, the best I have ever seen!
Thus I decided to keep it inside and adjust the meter when stopping down.

But the dirt on the screen annoyed me a little, so I took the risk to clean it.

On another website I have read that some guy cleaned his screen with Eclipse fluid. So I tried that.
I put some drops of Eclipse2 on a PecPad a gently wiped the screen. At the dirties area I even used some pressure.

And tell you what? The screen almost looks like new now!

Of course I cannot promise that it will work will every screen and I will not take any responsibility if you try it on your screen. But in my case it worked well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, M.-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that confirmation, Carsten.
I may now try to get the last little specks off of my screen from Alex by using Eclipse.

Another method I've read about is to use a tiny bit of mild dishwashing soap diluted in water, inside a sealed film canister, and shake the hell out of it. Then rinse in distilled water, and dry with clean compressed air.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I was given a tip by an old pro on how to clean a removable screen: put it in a film canister and add a drop of dishwashing detergent and fill it with warm water. Put the cap on and shake well. Rinse, and let dry. Almost identical to the tip Sked read about.

Last time I cleaned a non-removable screen was my Canon FTb's. The mirror foam had rotted, become like tar, and gotten smeared on the screen by a previous owner. It was a mess. I just used a Q-tip cotton swap and isopropyl alcohol, and gently wiped it. Fortunately, the smeared rubber spooge wiped right off, and the screen was perfectly clear afterward.

Last edited by cooltouch on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Last time I cleaned a non-removable screen was my Canon FTb's.

Oh yes, the screen of my FTb also is a mess. I need to do this next.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagged for future reference