Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

clean the glass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: clean the glass Reply with quote

I had a smc 50mm 1.4 tak with a lot of dust and a bad working focus (not smooth) so I decide to open it up.
I got it cleaned / lubed and I am 99% happy now. One thing I don't like is that I couldn't clean the glass completely. I tried methylated spirit to clean the glass, but I still couldn't get it 100% clean (some really thin film is noticable)
Does anyone know better products to clean the glass?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the methylated spirits are not pure enough, contaminants remain after evaporation. Reagent grade methanol is necessary for lens cleaning. The lens cleaning product Eclipse is reagent grade methanol.

The 'film' may not dissolve in methanol. First clean with naptha (most cigarette lighter fluids contain naptha). Then clean again with methanol to remove the contaminants left by the naptha.

If the naptha fails to remove the 'film', try soapy water (mild soap like dishwashing liquid soap or castile soap diluted with water. Then the naptha, then methanol to remove all traces of contaminants including streaks.

Use a q-tip (ear bud) for spot cleaning stubborn areas.