Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Classic Tamron 300mm f5.6 adaptall/adaptamatic shootout
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Classic Tamron 300mm f5.6 adaptall/adaptamatic shootout Reply with quote

Since I happen to have all three of the tamron 300mm f5.6's I have decided to do a bit of a shootout.
These are the three lenses: adaptamatic ; Adaptall CT300; Adaptall-2 SP 54B. The adaptamatic is pretty distinctive, early adaptalls can always be distinguished from adaptall-2's/SP's by the rubber grip: faux croc vs lined or dimpled.

[table][tr][th]lens[/td][th]optics[/th][th]CFD[/th][th]filter[/th][th]Iris[/th][th]weight[/th][th]length[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Adaptamatic[/td][td]4 elements/2 groups[/td][td]2.5m[/td][td]62mm[/td][td]9 blades "star"[/td][[td]795g[/td][td]20cm[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Adaptall CT300[/td][td]4 elements/4 groups[/td][td]2.5m[/td][td]58mm[/td][td]6 blades[/td][[td]580g[/td][td]16cm[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Adaptall-2 SP 54B[/td][td]6 elements/5 groups[/td][td]1.4m[/td][td]58mm[/td][td]6 blades[/td][[td]610g[/td][td]17cm[/td][/tr][/table]

There are 3 slight variants of the adaptamatic, mine is a later one with a rubber grip, the earliest ones have a milled focus ring. There is also an adaptall version of this lens - the very first adaptalls were modelled straight from the adaptamatics, but were then superceded by new models like the CT300.

Test one: sparrows.

Range: 6-9m approx. Camera: Samsung NX20, 20MPx, 400 or 800ASA. Superfine jpg's, only pp levels/exposure/WB tweaked or equalised as necessary in LR3, otherwise out of the camera. I took a score or so shots with each lens, wide open and 3 clicks stopped down (f9), and selected the best for comparison. Click on the thumbnails to go to the full sized images.

Adaptamatic

CT300

54B

Would you like to offer a running verdict/score?

Next test: church clock tower.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just yesterday for some reason after 1 1/2 year I took a Tamron adapt-a-matic for few shots out... I think that I was at f8 and fully post-processed... My experience deviate from what I see here. Confused

Click on picture to get to bigger size on Flickr!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Classic Tamron 300mm f5.6 adaptall/adaptamatic shootout Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

Would you like to offer a running verdict/score?

Impossible. Samples do not give sufficient data. But i am sure you have gotten some impression how to rank them?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
Just yesterday for some reason after 1 1/2 year I took a Tamron adapt-a-matic for few shots out... I think that I was at f8 and fully post-processed... My experience deviate from what I see here. Confused

Click on picture to get to bigger size on Flickr!

You need to bear in mind RAART that the pics I have linked to are all 100% crops!