Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon 50mm f1.7 .... Not bad..
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Chinon 50mm f1.7 .... Not bad.. Reply with quote

I picked up this unassuming Chinon lens, like so many, as part of a kit. I wandered around the garden snapping a few flowers and was pleasantly surprised. Smile
Quite sharp wide open and lovely bokeh - well to my eye anyway. I thought the later Chinon stuff was a bit third rate but maybe not?

All wide open but the last which was at f4.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very , very nice ! I especially like the last one! I never seen any bad Chinon lens or camera. They are always above avarage or excellent lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the third one ! Outstanding !

Though all are excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That third one has punch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 is truly excellent.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the third shot really stands out.

I think they're an underated manufacturer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to underestimate Chinon brand in situation when OM manufacturer Tomioka Optical Co, Ltd was making lens for Chinon. Several Chinon lenses could be true Tomioka's lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one, with K Pentax mount http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/cosmin/chinon_50mm_f1_7/ . Sell it and bought a Pentax-M with the same characteristics.
I still have a 28mm Chinon ( http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/cosmin/chinon_28mm_f2_8/ ) .
Yes, the Chinons are good lenses (and of course the same relabeled lenses, like AGFA, REVUENON - be aware that not all Revuenons are Chinons !!!).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 1,4/55 M42 (Tomioka well-known 1,4/55 ?) an original chinon and a revuenon - physically very close - , the 1,4/50 K (Cosina ?) -very sharp- the 1,7/50 M42 , 28mm f/2,8 M42 and a K version which is different , + the 3,3/200, 2,8/135 . The 3 50mm are from very good to excellent , (the 1,4/55 is perhaps the best) The 28mm are of constant high quality from f/4 to f/16 , the 3,3/200 K is very soft and never reach other 200mm (Takumar, Rokkor ...) , the 135 is like other members of that endless list of 135mm (over 300 different brands ? ) , not bad , not "transcendent", perfectly usable
Chinon lenses are probably made by cosina for the most recent "K" range , and tokina, tomioka, panagor for the oldest M42 .

The third picture is perfect . Yet the first one demonstrate the ability of this lens to give an infinite range of colors due to his medium wide open contrast .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 1,4/55 M42 (Tomioka well-known 1,4/55 ?) an original chinon and a revuenon - physically very close - , the 1,4/50 K (Cosina ?) -very sharp- the 1,7/55 M42 , 28mm f/2,8 M42 (2 differents copies) and a K version which is different from the two M42 , + the 3,3/200, 2,8/135 . The 3 50mm are from very good to excellent , (the 1,4/55 is perhaps the best) The 28mm are of constant high quality from f/4 to f/16 , the 3,3/200 K is very soft and never reach other 200mm (Takumar, Rokkor ...) , the 135 is like other members of that endless list of 135mm (over 300 different brands ? ) , not bad , not "transcendent", perfectly usable
Chinon lenses are probably made by cosina for the most recent "K" range , and tokina, tomioka, panagor, and cosina too for the oldest M42 .

The third picture is perfect . Yet the first one demonstrate the ability of this lens to give an infinite range of colors due to his medium wide open contrast .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments guys.
This is a definate keeper for me - might be good for portraits. It surprised me as I'd bought it with a CE-5 just for the PK mounts as I'd associated the later chinons with dixon's own brand cheapy slrs from the 80's/90,s. I'll be sure to check all that comes my way from now on.
So designed by Tomioka and built by Cosina?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
So designed by Tomioka and built by Cosina?

I think that this (on k Pentax) is designed and built by Chinon Wink http://forum.mflenses.com/chinon-1-7-50mm-t3321.html#24382 and here you can find some old reviews http://www.pbase.com/steephill/standards Among them is your Chinon. You can comare it with other 50mm lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice result
for me #2#3#4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomioka worked as a design office and a manufacturer (Tominon lenses, Yashinon, Yashikor) , was integrated in the Kyocera group (Yashica-Contax) yet you have over 50% of chances that cosina , with Hoya , Goyo, Sun glasses and other were the real mfg of chinon lenses, on tomioka design ... The major part of japanese M42 lenses came from this kind of "business" . Cosina , the today leading lens designer and mfg work on customer specs , then you can have cheap brands which are on the poor spec's side , and on other side Voigtländer, Zeiss, even Leitz brands (on vidcams) , on a very high level specifications . And all the stuff beetween ....
It is very tricky to know who made what , this business started in the late sixties and is the common way today ..., but with a restricted number of designers and mfg's , its more easy nowadays.