Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon 35 - 100 f3.5 - 4.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Chinon 35 - 100 f3.5 - 4.3 Reply with quote

Very often I will just grab one lens at random and head off out the door, just as I did for the last hour of daylight this afternoon. I went through the churchyard and into the woods behind our house, on the eastern side of the valley. The old Chinon 35 - 100, close focus zoom was probably way down the list of lenses to take by choice, but I'm glad I did. The setting sun cast nice light, but this lens seems to respond well and warms it some more. It's as sharp as any other old zoom I've got, maybe one of the sharpest I've got even? The close focus is good, it's an old school all metal, big heavy old thing, and it's as smooth as silk in operation. It came with a dead Chinon CE5 that had been dropped and the camera and lens were covered in a horrible sticky residue. The lens scrubbed up well, it's had a lot of use - there's wear and some age marks, and there was a problem with it. The internal moving zoom lens carrier was hitting the inside of the front element when zoomed in and focused on infinity, which it wasn't reaching as the front element was the stop. It was easily adjusted, but it must have been like that for a long time as there is a perfect circular scratch on the front element now, although it seems to have no effect.
I shall certainly be using it some more.
All pic's are untouched except for sizing and a crop on the sunset picture. Sony A6000, ISO 500, most shot one stop down, hand held.

This was wide open.

Also wide open. I like this, the bokeh on the far tree is lovely.

I cropped the bottom, there was nothing there at all.

Focused on the tip of the rock.

I have no idea who made the lens, I think there's a touch of SUN about it ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a coincidence! I just picked up a Revue set last week. Often they contain interesting rebranded lenses. This set had the same lens as yours, just branded Revuenon, i had never seen it before and there seems to be little information about it on the net.

My example is like new, i really have to give it a try, your examples look very promising! Maybe i'll shoot a roll of film with it in the shown combo, the camera works perfectly.

Like you, i wondered who made it.

Revueflex AC2 + 35-100mm by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results. This is CIMKO Cima Kogaku by the way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cimko - that's interesting. I like all the Cimko's I have, which isn't many.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
What a coincidence! I just picked up a Revue set last week. Often they contain interesting rebranded lenses. This set had the same lens as yours, just branded Revuenon, i had never seen it before and there seems to be little information about it on the net.

My example is like new, i really have to give it a try, your examples look very promising! Maybe i'll shoot a roll of film with it in the shown combo, the camera works perfectly.

Like you, i wondered who made it.

Lucky you, got the same set last year. In good shape just had to remove some fungus on the inside of the front lens. Just the winder went to the bin because it was corroded inside. It is worth to put a roll through. Just remembering that you put a comment on the Dutch AFF concerning this set. Regards Cliff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: 40-105 Reply with quote

Chinon made a 40-105 \3,5 as well including a 1:1:4 "macro" setting.

p.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than 'Close Focus' this 35-100 doesn't indicate what magnification it gives. I've just put the lens on a Chinon film camera and it gives about 12 inch close focus distance, but I have no idea if it is 1:1 or less. ( and I'm far too drunk to figure it out Laughing )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Other than 'Close Focus' this 35-100 doesn't indicate what magnification it gives. I've just put the lens on a Chinon film camera and it gives about 12 inch close focus distance, but I have no idea if it is 1:1 or less. ( and I'm far too drunk to figure it out Laughing )

You don't need vario lens then. You can mind-bend Wink.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares who made it, they did a good job! It's a nice performer, congrats. The power station pic is great.

I had the big brother of this lens, the 70-150, styling is exactly the same, but was branded a Soligor, that was a good lens too, at f8 and infinity, it was very sharp, even wide open it was sharp enough and had nice colours and bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a 100% crop of the tree roots, the bokeh is superb - to my taste anyway. I like the way it's just out of focus and smooth, there are no distracting artifacts or patterns, which I know could occur if there were more highlights or even a brighter exposure. With the warm colours, this bokeh makes this picture - fussy bokeh would ruin it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that - smoothness rather than swirls, bubbles or any other b*llocks! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the warm, golden cast of these images. You capture very nicely the late afternoon light.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Chinon 35-100mm MC Reply with quote

Great pics, really love the golden touch of this lens!
Could you be so kind and help me with this one? I have a Chinon 35-100mm MC, I recently bought a novoflex adaptor NEX/PENT thinking of mounting it on my Sony A7s -I assumed that my Chinon was a K-mount lens- But I am apparently wrong!?
Here some images, thanks!

Last edited by Diango on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Chinon 35-100mm MC Reply with quote

Diango wrote:
Great pics, really love the golden touch of this lens!
Could you be so kind and help me with this one? I have a Chinon 35-100mm MC, I recently bought a novoflex adaptor NEX/PENT thinking of mounting it on my Sony A7s -I assumed that my Chinon was a K-mount lens- But I am apparently wrong!?
Here some images, thanks!

Reposted to show pictures

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks more like Olympus OM mount, the little silver tab on the side is the lens release that pushes the lock directly behind it. 99% sure it's OM.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot! That is actually weird, I didn't know Chinon lenses were mounted on Olympus. Thanks a lot! Now need to buy the OM adaptor Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought Chinon sold lenses in mounts other than PK either, but obviously they did. OM adapters are cheap enough, and that lens is worth using. I was very surprised by it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the OM adaptors are quite affordable. Couple of weeks ago I found this lens in a total random shop here in Düsseldorf and I payed 20 Euro for it Wink that's one of the reasons why I still like living in Germany... Thanks for your very helpful answer!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange, first time i see a Chinon lens with an OM mount!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the subject lens was manufactured for Chinon by Cimko, swapping the K mount flange for a Cima made Olympus mount flange should be a fairly straightforward excercise. That would explain a Chinon lens in OM mount.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is almost certainly a Cimko, I'm pretty sure one of the trademarks is the unequal spacing of the four screws securing the mount. I've got another lens that's Cimko, a Super Paragon 135 2.8 with M42 mount, and the mount screw spacing is identical. The mounts would swop.
Both my lenses have a matt finish, as does Diango's, but the actual mounts have a glossier finish, which is obvious when looking at the actual lens but not in Diango's pictures.
If Cimko made OM mount lenses, then I think it would be very simple to swap the OM mount onto a lens with an original PK mount, the register distance of 45.46mm for the OM and 46mm for the PK might mean the lens focus' past infinity if the lens body is different and not the mount thickness, but probably not by much.
I also think that the Chinon has been modified.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Some pics Reply with quote

Dears here some pics. After I've got the OM-mount adaptor I mounted the Chinon on my Sony A7s and I went out for a lens walk Smile See here some pics. I am thrilled with this lens, love it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are good pictures, I think we've stumbled upon a very nice old zoom lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, lovely glass Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll show my results as soon as i have finished the roll of Kodak film i am using it with!