Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon 3.5/23mm Test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
I did not learn English at school, No German Either even speak some Russian and French.
I learned it all by myself, sure I make lots of mistakes. But its far better to communicate and make spelling errors then to hesitate and communicate less or not..

Dead right! That's a great achievement Guido. What is your normal language?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I send corrections to some members to improve their English, I am lucky in one way that English is my native language and I hope I can pass what I have learned naturally. However as it has been said (I'm really having to think about my grammar here! Laughing ) I like the regional variation on this forum, long may it continue! It often raises interesting differences and similarities between our cultures.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dead right! That's a great achievement Guido. What is your normal language?

Flemisch/Dutch

Guido

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
I did not learn English at school, No German Either even speak some Russian and French.
I learned it all by myself ...

Which is a fantastic thing. I can imagine how difficult that is!
BTW, spending some time in a country where English is spoken is a great way to learn and improve it.

Jigt wrote:
I can write better but then I have to slow down, I hate it that my writting is slower then my thinking!

Yes. I understand that, I often feel the same...

Actually, "writing" in a forum or a chat room is closer to "talking" than to traditional "writing" (as in producing formal texts), research has shown that.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Actually, I think that in this forum especially Michael and Orio - among others - have a very good command of the English language.

*ooops* I missed this thread because chinon is a lens brand I'm interested in. Very Happy
Thanks for your kind words but as I wrote a few weeks before I am a total fool regarding other languages. I've had french lessons in school - but I didn't understand a word. My last english score was miserable, I almost failed the whole examn for this reason. I didn't spoke or wrote an english word for about 20 years. The internet - and some new friends from england - changed a lot. But it's very very cumbersome for me and every post needs a long time. Sometimes I wish I'm able to participate more. Often I didn't have the words to express my feelings and thoughts about some topics. Or I haven't enough time to search for them. Mostly I regret that it's so difficult to find the correct analogies because of the different cultural backgrounds, even if they are very small here.
I admire everyone who is able to use a foreign language extensive. I'm astonished how for example Orio can put his thoughts into foreign words. Kudos to all of you (a phrase from my online translator Very Happy ). For myself I'm thankful for the possiblity to learn here. And glad that there are not too much members here, otherwise everything would be going to fast for my slow brain... Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
I'm astonished how for example Orio can put his thoughts into foreign words.
Michael

Only with hard, hard effort. And, I am afraid, with a lot of confusion or simplification, because my thinking is more complex than my ability with the English language. So either I end up garbled in long convoluted sentences (which are my tentative of translating ito English my Italian sentences), or I end up cutting a lot of what I would like to say, in order to level it down to my limited command of the language.

The main obstacle for me is not the lexicon, the vocabulary is often at the side of my computer, ready to be used.
My main problem is the figurative language, the figurative expressions. Italian (like I think all languages) relies heavily on figurative expressions. These often are not even possible to translate. So I have to struggle to express the same concept in a language that I don't know, so maybe there is a simple equivalent in English that I don't know, and I make a convoluted sentence to express what would be much simpler if I knew the language.

Another problem is the subjunctive and the different degrees of hypothetical propositions. The Italian language relies very much on the use of subjunctive, and the hypothetical propositions are very complex and with a lot of subtle shadings. They would require a school course learning to be able to translate each of these subtleties into the English language in the proper way. Being self thought, I don't have this advantage and I have to struggle with the problem every time.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Orio, it's the idioms and phrasals that reveal the native speaker.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Yes, Orio, it's the idioms and phrasals that reveal the native speaker.

Yes, and what was amazing with my ex-wife was that she seemed to knew them all. How could she do that I don't know. But there wasn't any familiar or colloquial conversation in English where she would miss a single meaning of those expressions. And she had the ability to learn them instantly. I did not notice that with English because she already knew. I noticed in the way she was learning Italian. I was totally amazed, she heard a sentence one, and she stored it forever.
I mean, compare Italian with Norwegian, see how distant they are.

I guess some people just are born with a talent for language.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked up the meaning of phrasal, as it's not a word I was familiar with. I suppose it is the same with every language, but some of the phrasal verbs we use have helped me understand how difficult it must be to try to learn English!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a bit prone to CA even without contrasty lighting

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I just looked up the meaning of phrasal, as it's not a word I was familiar with. I suppose it is the same with every language, but some of the phrasal verbs we use have helped me understand how difficult it must be to try to learn English!

Exactly, since phrasal verbs often mean something completely different from what their separate parts would mean. Shocked
You know, the first steps in English are very easy (that's why it qualifies for being a "world language") but it's really hard to get to a sophisticated level.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Chinon 3.5/23mm Test Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Some test pictures by Chinon 3.5/23mm. It is almost a fisheye.
Very funny to use on my walk around the lake. But what about the quality?

Great captures.
Could you post the picture of the lens itself. The focal length is very interesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Chinon 3.5/23mm Test Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:

Great captures.
Could you post the picture of the lens itself. The focal length is very interesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I think this is the first 23mm lens that I ever know of.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of a "Prinzreflex 23mm" that is said to be a "crap" lens... Twisted Evil
I still would like to test it. Wink

What we've learned in this thread is that the 23mm Chinon seems to be a very good lens!