Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap macro lens 80-150 mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
For portraits I would say the Tokina 90/2.5 is more than excellent. It's super sharp and contrasty wide open. Prices are unfortunately a bit steep in general.
I found mine a month ago for 125 € (about 145$) including the 1:1 adapter, which is a bargain. When you look around a lot and are patient you might find one too for a good price.

I absolutely agree that the Tamron 2.5/90mm is excellent - certainly better than the (much older) Minolta MC/MD 3.5/100mm Macro.
I don't agree on the price, though - i got mine in a charity shop for about CHF 20.-- / EUR 20.--.

Stephan

I'm speaking about the Tokina, not the Tamron 😊

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
Both need the dedicated X2 Converter which is a bit of a nuisance, but they are great lenses.

Any tube of the right length will do the job. The air quality inside will be identical! Smile

Absolutely right...but....the Tamron 01F for the 90 / 2.5 is optical, and a quick and dirty test that I did a long time ago to compare the 01F with a Kenlock X2 Converter proved the value of the matched converter. I have taken the optics out of a severely fungused 01F and made a tube, which works very well.
And I think the length of both converters is determined by giving 1:1 macro. I used the Rokkor for a long time with various tubes, and a Kenmore optical X2 Teleconverter, and got great results from them. The 'good' teleconverters are worth having, but there are some rubbish ones out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lloydy"]

Absolutely right...but....the Tamron 01F for the 90 / 2.5 is optical[quote]

True but the "1:1 converter", as I bought with the lens new, is a tube with no glass. A matter of correct naming of parts! I used TCs a lot and still do for various lenses. I don't recall seeing a teleconverter labelled "1:1" only x1.4, x2, etc

I have the "1:1 converter" for my Leitz Elamrit 60mm macro and that has no glass either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matched 1:1 converter for the early Tamron 90mm macros is '18F' and is just an empty tube. I find tubes in the camera mount easier to fit so I've never bothered with it.

Lloydy wrote:
The 'good' teleconverters are worth having, but there are some rubbish ones out there.

More than just 'some', unless I've come across them all!

The 01F is one of the few good ones I have, very useful on the 054B getting it to 0.6x. It might be interesting to try two 01F stacked - just about giving 1:1 from several meters away but I doubt IQ would be bearable. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
T
Lloydy wrote:
The 'good' teleconverters are worth having, but there are some rubbish ones out there.

More than just 'some', unless I've come across them all!

The 01F is one of the few good ones I have, very useful on the 054B getting it to 0.6x. It might be interesting to try two 01F stacked - just about giving 1:1 from several meters away but I doubt IQ would be bearable. Twisted Evil

With Tamrons, use the 140F and 200F versions, which are better specification. (Don't fit some lenses, due to protruding rear element).