Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap expired C-41 films in BW Chemicals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are just great Ian - they really do look convincingly old. Like Orio says, no amount of PS can adequately emulate this. Whatever 'soup mix' you're using, keep a note of it. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, some photoshop editing can really dig out little wonders from a negative like this:

I have to try this technique!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, Orio, I probably would've blocked out that little dumpster on rollers if I
tried to PP this. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Now you point it out Bill, the shadow detail is good.

Thanks Bob, it's RO9 1-shot dev at 1:125, 20C, 60mins, minimal agitation. Still working on hitting the right fixing time.

Just developed the roll I shot today with the Tokina 3.5/17 on my FT-1, I had a timer mishap when fixing so not sure of precise time, 10-12 mins I think. Roll looks fine, negs looks a little less dense than the last roll, but different camera, lens and meter, will see how the exposure is when it's dried and scanned.

Glad you like it Orio, you did a nice job with the PP on that neg, I used silver efex but I think yours looks better than mine, love to hear what steps you used.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the first couple of scans of today's roll, no PP, I left them at full size so you can have a good look at the sharpness and grain:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Glad you like it Orio, you did a nice job with the PP on that neg, I used silver efex but I think yours looks better than mine, love to hear what steps you used.

I started by setting black and white points with Levels, then I added some contrast with Curves, then I duplicated the layer and set the above leyer to "Soft Light" mode and adjusted opacity for a good mix. In the end, I denoised the resulting image using Noise Ninja pro, all parameters set manually for optimal result. Inside Noise Ninja, I added some luminance contrast and some USM sharpening with a small range value.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's quite advanced, I will have to improve my PP skills!

Here's some more scans from today's roll, some have had PP, I welcome C&C on my PP as I'm sure it could be done better:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're quite good I think.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting look but I'm still not fully happy with the results, some shots are nice, others not, but I had some exposures that were a bit off on this roll.

Here's a few more from this roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this last roll has the best results. BTW, that Tokina looks like a top performer!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bill, I did everything the same as the prior roll, just rediced fixing time from 25mins to about 12 mins, so your tip about fixing paid off, thanks.

The Tokina is a great lens, a real bargain for what it can be had for. I think I slightly prefer the Konica 21mm but both lenses are among my most treasured.

I've shot another roll today, needed to test my Konica Autoreflex T, I used my Konica 2.8/24 on it, a lens that is a stellar performer on NEX but I have not tried before on film.

Here's the last of yesterday's roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is interesting, I found a roll of C-41 film I shot last year in my Praktica BC-1 with Pentacon 1.8/50 lens and developed in Ilford Microphen.

Results are better than I've been getting with Rodinal, these have had PP to reduce grain and increase contrast:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the roll I shot yesterday. Konica Autoreflex T with 2.8/24 Hexanon. Kodak MAX 400, 1:125 Rodinal for 60 mins, 10 inversions at the beginning then no agitation after that, fixed for 10 mins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a melancholy series, but good results. Will check to see if there's a flickr group for Microphen.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's about the best I can manage with C41 in Rodinal. I was shocked when I scanned the Microphen roll, far better than I imagined it would be, almost as good as proper BW film results.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, C-41 in BW dev is great if you've run out of BW film, certainly viable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can figure out how to consistently get results like this one, then I'll be happy:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that pic is a decent result, I'd be happy with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's roll is drying, looks nice again looking at the negs in terms of density, I used a Jessops Everyday Diamond 200 with my Hexanon 2.8/24 on my FT-1.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who makes this Jessops' film?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, the edge of the strip says Jessop's Dimaond Everyday. The earlier Jessops was Agfa. I'll grab a box and see if it says county of origin on it, the BW Jessops was always Efke.

Results are okay, but not upto proper BW film, when I get some different dev I'll try another c-41 film but I think I'm wasting my time trying to get results to match proper BW film.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If box reads 'Japan' probably Fuji.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked and it has no country of origin on it at all so it's anyone's guess.

Here's the rest of the roll, I think this is as good as it's gonna get for C-41 in Rodinal:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice selfie:

Seeing some nice detail in these scans.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, well spotted, took me a minute or two to see the reflection, but now you point it out.

I took a humourous self portrait today while messing around with a tiny C-mount fisheye lens: