Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap expired C-41 films in BW Chemicals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be fine for a stop bath, then of course after fixing the 3 stepped washes
Ilford recommends would be good, too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pour the fixer out then open tank, wash under tap for 2 mins then add drop of washing up liquid and turn off tap, then move spiral up and down for a min then take out of tank and run it under the tap for a min then hang to dry.

Stand developed film is now hanging to dry after 20 mins fix, looks good, nice dense negs, will see what grain and sharpness is like soon when I can scan one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing these!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's the first scan, rather better than last roll. I'll upload the rest soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely showing better tones and shadow detail.

What film is this again?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Kodak MAX Versatility 400 according to the box. Film edge says Kodak GC 400-8.

That scan was increased in contrast and sharpened, here it is raw from scanner, just resized:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, looks a little better, sharpening adds to the grain.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sadly sharpening does add to the grain, I won't do it in future.

This scan came out nicer imho, less grain:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was taken in the late 1800's, I like it! Smile

We can make those telegraph lines... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I like the vintage look.

I have a little project going, to document the decay of my town, it is really sad how much decay and dereliction there is now, I think BW film captures this well, the lo-fi vintage look emphasises the run-down decayed subjects imho.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the bleakness really comes through in these. Place needs a chlorophyll enema in spring/summer months,
hanging baskets of flowers, potted trees and palms... Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is bleak, very much so, an industrial town that lost all it's industry 40 years ago, think Detroit only smaller.

Drive a mile or two up the road and you're in the most beautiful part of England, lakes, mountains, forest, stunning scenery.

I've shot so much pretty scenery I'm enjoying documenting the gritty reality of my town.

It really saddens me to see how far things have fallen, most of the shops are gone, most of the pubs, all the cinemas and night clubs, there is nothing to do here anymore and anyone who can, gets out, I left at 17 to art college and never intended coming back, it was only my mum's illness that brought me home.

Last two are when my dad was checking his old Rover, it's been stored over winter, luckily it still runs smooth as silk, which makes a change!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the last three in this set, worth printing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I'm not sure why there is some fogging on the right of the one of the rear of the car, it's also on another frame of the roll.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice detail in these scans!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tessar at f8-11 is surely part of why, I suspect my overfixing of the prior rolls ruined the details, 20mins seems to be about right for my diy fixer.

I will have to try a grain reducing developer on some C-41, do you have a suggestion for which one might work nicely?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With developing C-41 with BW chems, it's not early days but new days with me! Smile
I'd have to do some searching on that one.

Really like the water/reflections in the last.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.

I thought of taking some shots of just the puddles, wish I had. No matter, the amount of rain we get here I will get plenty of other opportunites. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the last of the roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These seriously look like 19th century photographs.
No photoshop trick can do that so convincingly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Orio, I like the 19th century look, on the right subject it can be nice I think.

I processed them in silver efex, turning up the contrast and structure 30-40%, before that, they were even more 19th century looking as they were all shades of gray with no blacks and whites, like the old silver plates (or whatever the right name is).

Still, I've ordered a load of proper BW film, the vintage look doesn't suit everything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the mood in some of these, the iron fence is a rocker! With a good fixer you
could shorten the time to 10 minutes and probably be OK, with maybe less snow, I
mean grain! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the negative look after the development?
Does it have still the orange mask, or does it look perfectly transparent like a real B&W film?
I am wondering, if I might be able to make prints with the enlarger using such a negative.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bill, I like the rusty fence too. I took a few more shots of rusty gates today.

I need to experiment with different fixing times, this one had 20 mins. I reckon my fixer is pretty strong stuff with 500g of crystals in 2 litres. I shot another roll of Kodak MAX 400 today in my Konica FT-1 with Tokina RMC 3.5/17, just about to develop it with the same 1:125 for 60 mins method, I'll keep all the same except the fixing time and we shall see if grain is reduced.

The negs looks nice and dense but the film is orange. You can print them on an enlarger, I did so in the 90s at university. What I would suggest is you need to use a high contrast paper, otherwise you will get a low contrast print which might be fine if you want it to have that silvery look of a 1880s photo like this unedited scan:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this unedited scan, check out the shadow detail!