Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap ebay Pentax Optio 50 Compact Results
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Cheap ebay Pentax Optio 50 Compact Results Reply with quote

My interest in photography was reawakened by a series of cheap digital compacts, mainly sourced on ebay.

This one, the 5MP Pentax Optio had a lot of faults, including awful barrel distortion, terrible fall off in sharpness towards edges (especially the right side), very noticeable CA fringing and the battery life was dire, especially in cold weather - this improved when I invested in higher output rechargeables.

Some of my best ever photos were taken on this camera.

Creeping Shadows at Cresswell by skida, on Flickr

Grasmere 17 Feb 2008 by skida, on Flickr

Grasmere 17 Feb 2008 by skida, on Flickr

Number 2 is as it came out of the camera according to the exif.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really are a surprise from a camera like that. My first digicam was a nikon 995, and looking back it took very decent pictures (sometimes).

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty awesome , especially first one!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proving that a good photographer is more important than a good camera.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love all three, Skida, absolutely!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks folks. This was one of three ebay sourced cheap digital compacts that got me out shooting 3 or more times a week again, after a photographic lay-off of about 10-15 years. I only shoot film at the moment, but these "cheapies" helped me learn a lot.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding results!
Did you process it very much or are them stright from the cam?.
Anyway, a really nice work.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, I added a digital grad filter to No.1 before lightening slightly.

No.2 is straight from the camera

No.3 May have had "I'm Feeling Lucky" in Picasa (a mixture of colour correction and contrast adjustment, I believe).

Thanks Jesito.