Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap APS DSLR for MF lenses advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Cheap APS DSLR for MF lenses advice Reply with quote

I usually use an Olympus Pen or OMD EM5 for MF lenses, but I am wondering if there's a reasonably priced Canon/Sony/Samsung APS-C camera that will offer me just that larger sensor size? It must be able to accommodate MF lens adapters.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend either Fuji or Sony.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon is not the way to go when adapting glass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the setups in APS-c, the best for me was to use a Sony A58, legacy Pentax screw mount lenses, an M42 to Sony A-mount adapter ring with focus confirm ($10 on eBay).
The little green square on the EVF or the screen to confirm the sharp focus beats focus peaking assistance or plain eyes in speed and accuracy. In FF, after micro focus adjustment of an A99, it's total joy in shooting with Pentax glass.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the omd sensor is very good. Why DSLR ? What means reasonably priced ? Anyway , I suggest mirrorless , if you prefere viewfinder, Sony has several models with Electronic one built in or adaptable. Nex 6 comes to mind , if you fiind one in good shape with low actuations

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are cheaper Sony Nex cameras coming onto Australian ebay all the time especially the NEX 3 and 5. I recently bought a used Fuji XE-1 just to try it out. The EVF is supposed to be very good,I guess I'll find out soon enough. I usually use the Pentax K-01 but its restricted to just my M39/M42/K mount lenses.

Check out KEH if you want to buy from the US,even though our dollar has crashed,2nd hand cameras can still be found cheaper than here....you just need the Australian charger/ plug adapters.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Market price for A37 seems to be 200 bucks now, A mount, press says you can shoot CMOS sensor at iso 800 without getting cancer

Not endorsing it, just saying

Drawbacks: Sony (well if you buy used -), not a real DSLR, I don't know whether they fixed the external flash delay issue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good advices above, I try to sumarize:
if you want a SLR, as you stated, Canons have the shortest register distance which makes the greater number of lenses adaptable. Pentax are good but adaptable lenses are mostly limited to M42 and Pentax K lenses, some Nikkors might fit. On a Nikon dSLR one can only use old Nikkors.
Mentioned Sony A mount cameras aren't really SLRs, they do not have optical viewfinders but electronic viewfinders and a mirror that serves for AF purposes and have the form factor of a SLRs

If it's a camera with an APS-C sensor, regardless of it being a SLR / having on optical viewfinder or not, you want then you have Sony E mount, Fuji and Samsung mirrorless to chose from, also the discontinued Ricoh GXR with M module. They either have no viewfinder or an electronic viewfinder and offer the aids for manual focusing, magnification and focus peaking, like your Olys.
Can't tell you exactly which models have an EVF and which do not, concerning the Sonys ( list may not be complete ) the early NEX3 and NEX5 and the later Sony A5000 do not have any EVF nor accept an optional one, NEX5n/5r/5t and N3 take an optional EVF, NEX6, NEX7, A6000 have an integrated EVF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Pentax K-x body with PK bayonet lenses and M42 lenses with a simple adapter. These are the type of lenses I use most. The body has built in lens stabilization for any lens up to 800 mm focal length. Next to this it has focus confirmation for mf lenses. Third advantage for me is that the camera uses AA size batteries. So Pentax is the brand for me. Regards Cliff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, kuuan did already a quite good summary.

This may also be helpful in order to do some narrowing on required features:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu#!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnf_spedition wrote:
I use a Pentax K-x body with PK bayonet lenses and M42 lenses with a simple adapter. These are the type of lenses I use most. The body has built in lens stabilization for any lens up to 800 mm focal length. Next to this it has focus confirmation for mf lenses. Third advantage for me is that the camera uses AA size batteries. So Pentax is the brand for me. Regards Cliff.

right, and how could I forget to mention! before I went mirrorless Pentax also had been my choice for SLR to use manual lenses with for these reasons + I preferred their handling, size and form factor.
nice link Thomas Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
dnf_spedition wrote:

right, and how could I forget to mention! before I went mirrorless Pentax also had been my choice for SLR to use manual lenses with for these reasons + I preferred their handling, size and form factor.

+1 for Pentax if a REAL DSLR is the target. A broad range of M42 lenses and certainly all PK and newer lenses are compatible.
Very capable and nice cameras. I still like my K20D. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are after a DSLR, then Canon gives you the most lens options:

M42
Pentax K
Olympus OM
Nikon (pre ai, ai, ais)
Contax/Yashica
Leica R
Exakta
Rollei

You can even pick up a full frame 5D for under £300.00 or an APS-H (1.3x crop) 1 series body for closer to £200.00.

Sony SLT will only allow you to use M42 lenses unless you start replacing mounts with Leitax adapters (expensive).

Obviously a mirrorless body will give you much greater lens compatibility. If you want an EVF, look for the Fuji X-E1, Sony Nex-6, a3000 (although the EVF is very low resolution), Samsung NX10/NX11.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My low priced choice.

Nice used Canon 20D less than $100 on eBay if you can handle no live view. 40D has live view.

Used Canon M less than $200 on eBay is a lot of sensor for the money, can mount to almost any MF lens and can run Magic Lantern.