Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

changing screens on ricoh tls---advice sought
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: changing screens on ricoh tls---advice sought Reply with quote

i have a very nice ricoh 401 tls, the one with dual viewfinders in m42 mount. i like it because for street shooting it is an advantage to frame vertically vs horizontally because people dont know you're taking pictures and are more relaxed.

my issue is that my eyes are not so great for focusing, and the ricoh just has a regular old screen--no split image which helps me a lot. is there any way to replace the ricoh screen with a split screen?

thanks
tony[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, you're in luck! Smile There are detailed instructions on the 401 screen at the Classic Camera Repair Forum
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/ricoh401.html

The screen is apparently in a carrier frame screwed to the "prism". It's not actually a solid prism, just a hollow box of mirrors. It doesn't look extremely complicated, although you'll need to disconnect and resolder a wire and recalibrate the screen using a ground glass on the film plane.

There are several sellers on ebay who can supply new screens but I doubt they'll be dedicated for Ricoh cameras, so I suspect you'll have to use a fine file to adjust the size to fit. Replacement screens for the Minolta X700 range are very nice and bright, with a split-image and microprism collar, and they're very cheap and readily available. If you take the measurements of your screen I can tell you if one of these will do the job before you order any.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter that is AWESOME!!!

thank you soooo much!

i cant wait to try this out!
tony