Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Change my scanning experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
one small update. I spend two days and I have read over 150 customer reviews on b and h, amazon.com and amazon.de
I am not getting the minolta since the feeder can be easily destroyed.

I would be getting the plustek for two reasons
1. I can buy a new one and thus I have a fifteen days returning period
2. It looks to be a big advancement from a flatbed scanner. People give very poor rating for the software but they suggest to buy the Vuescan, which looks more promising combo.

I will report back once scanner arrives

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanner came yesterday... I stayed awake for two hours to test it!
Interface of the software is not that good that I was expecting.. but otherwise my comment for my new scanner is

WOW

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, lets see some results!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Do you mean comparisons?? Even the results of my scanner I do not know to share to be technical correct (in the sense to allow "decent" comparison)

Regards
A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just show us what it can do. If you want to do comparisons that would be good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Thanks. Do you mean comparisons?? Even the results of my scanner I do not know to share to be technical correct (in the sense to allow "decent" comparison)

Regards
A

Well you have scanned some negs with your old scanner so you could rescan them with your new scanner and show the difference. IMO you wont see a massive difference but your new scanner would probably show more detail in the shadows and doing crops it would be sharper and less interference from scanner noise...so it is over to you for "proof of the pudding is in the eating"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You described it very precisely
".... would probably show more detail in the shadows and doing crops it would be sharper and less interference from scanner noise..."

I can see inside the dark areas now!

Alex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
so this is my feedback. For not flooding the forum with the images I am only giving links for the full images so perhaps one can do the comparison in a better way.
I am giving two exampls of my plustek 8200i against the 3490 epson scanner.
I scan same images with 3200 dpi and 24color bit. I disabled all post processing from the scanner, like sharpening.
I then exported both images at highest jpeg quality (100%). Files ended at very similar file size around 15Mb, which perhaps show that are somehow similar.

As a side note their color looks different but I think I should not care much since I can fix that in post processing.

Photo A
-FiilmScanner
-http://alexpal.smugmug.com/photos/i-VCKQ6jF/0/O/i-VCKQ6jF.jpg

-FlatBed
-http://alexpal.smugmug.com/photos/i-G589hwp/0/O/i-G589hwp.jpg

Photo B
-Film Scanner
-http://alexpal.smugmug.com/photos/i-2FbJf6d/0/O/i-2FbJf6d.jpg

-FlatBed
-http://alexpal.smugmug.com/photos/i-RDMVgTp/0/O/i-RDMVgTp.jpg

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well your Epson 3490 results looks crap in comparison.........that Epson is not to be recommended for 35mm.
What about comparing the ones done at the lab Question

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I will dig out the cds once I have time to do one more round.
Although I can say for sure that the size I was given it was either 100+ kb Jpeg or 700kb jpeg.. which I do not expect to be very high resolution.

MY eyes for my new scanner say that I found what I was looking to move forward with film scanning...
Btw any reason to do sharpening and color correction from the scanning software and not from lightroom (I am scanning tiffs). Any reason for adjusting histograms?

So far I have been only enabling the scratch correction that is working great with the infrared channel and nothing more

Regards
alex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two pesos: I have a Plustek (cheaper one) and an Epson V600. For color negative or E6, Epson Scan has better tools get the colors sorted out... RGB curves to be specific. I tinkered w/ Vuescan and Silverfast and it was just too much work for my tastes. I will likely sell the Plustek soon.

To each their own...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
thanks for the feedback. I am not a pro but I do not care about colors with vue scan.. I can for sharpness which and details in the shadows. For color work I just do everyhing in photoshop with great results.
Btw does anyone now if the auto color, auto contrast can be done in lightroom too?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Lightroom has changed (honestly I don't do many colors in Photoshop, and never used Lightroom) Lightroom was missing a bunch of the color stuff Photoshop had. If you have Photoshop, why bother with Lightroom?