Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Caspeco Auto Tele Interchangeable Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Caspeco Auto Tele Interchangeable Mount Reply with quote

I recently bought this Caspeco badged 135/3.5 lens in New-Old-Stock condition from Ebay. It has an interchangeable mount system I haven't seen discussed before.

It's hard to tell the manufacturer, the colour scheme doesn't seem to have been used anywhere else, things like the depth of focus markings seem fairly generic, and many manufacturers used similar optical arrangements for the focal lengths shown in the instruction manual. Interestingly, there is also a 300mm lens not shown, currently for sale on ebay, without a mount adapter.

Has anyone else used a model from this lens line?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen by me. Nice find!

Congrats

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find!
Thats a new one to me, and I have had all sorts of weird ones.
A rare thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Caspeco Auto Tele Interchangeable Mount Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I recently bought this Caspeco badged 135/3.5 lens in New-Old-Stock condition from Ebay. It has an interchangeable mount system I haven't seen discussed before.

It's hard to tell the manufacturer, the colour scheme doesn't seem to have been used anywhere else, things like the depth of focus markings seem fairly generic, and many manufacturers used similar optical arrangements for the focal lengths shown in the instruction manual. Interestingly, there is also a 300mm lens not shown, currently for sale on ebay, without a mount adapter.

Has anyone else used a model from this lens line?

These are indeed rare. I found that out when I asked the seller what mount it is. Seller said it is an interchangeable mount. Since it is a 135mm, I didn't pull the trigger. Now it seems time to dig out some history. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of this system. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the system was not confined to Caspeco branded lenses, here are three other brands which also sold these lenses. The prices are too high on the ebay items for me to bother, the Kaligar 300mm lens was part of a lot on Goodwill website which sold for $26, still more than I was willing to pay to satisfy idle curiosity.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Tokina T4 / TX variant or even the same.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Probably Tokina T4 / TX variant or even the same.

Camera=wiki claims Tokina made may of their lenses so this seems quite a good bet. Having another incompatible universal mount system would be a bit of a disadvantage IMO.

Tamron's Adaptall seems to be the most popular from what I've seen. I've come across loads of these in my local area, but no more than a handful of TX lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered Tokina also, but the Auto-Tele lens I have definitely isn't compatible with any of my T4/TX or Automount lenses. The Soligor and Vivitar T4 lenses as well as the Lentar Automount lenses, and also the Vivitar TX lenses are all distinguishable by having a 'double' aperture scale working in both directions from the widest setting. Automount and T4/TX mounts are physically similar except Automount uses a threaded connection instead of the T4/TX method. Interestingly I also saw a Sun/Tokina lens using what was probably Automount, they gave it a different name which escapes me, it was over priced so I never tried it out, and haven't seen another since.

Other interchangeable systems I compared against were also not compatible - Suns' System mount (used before YS system, and similar in concept to Auto-Tele, but ultimately not the same system), Kalimars' Auto-T, YS mount, Adaptall, Unidapt etc.

I always have considered the Kalimar (and Colt/Optomax/Sesnon/EuroDesign) Auto-T lenses to be most likely an Itoh/Kogaku product. With Tokina probably not the manufacturer, likewise Tamron or Sigma, the list of likely sources is whittled down. I had hopes for Sun Optical or perhaps some associated company of that group. One possibility may be Komura, although once they started selling using their own name I'm not sure they any longer sold to rebadging entities, but who knows. business is business. Anyway, pure conjecture. The mount wasn't compatible with Unidapt in any case.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an odd Nikon mount which would appear to fit that lens, though there's no markings save for N/AI Japan. Has the exakta mount got a (minolta style) slot in one of its bayonet lugs?