Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carpenter Bee
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Carpenter Bee Reply with quote

2nd is out of focus, but still nice to see those iridescent colors it sports so nicely, looks like a black flash in flight ....

Note how that Sage flower presses the pollen on its back while she enjoys the nectar.

A special Sage it is :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_sclarea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, never seen a bee like that one before, all the ones here in NW England are yellow and black.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are interesting photos. I took some of the same bee and flower last year. Now we don't have that plant
and we do not have the bees either.
Taken with the Jupiter 11 (M39).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also never seen that bee before- it is rather beautiful. Very nice first shot uddhava.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Interesting, never seen a bee like that one before, all the ones here in NW England are yellow and black.

Bees are usually light brown and black . The domestic wasp ( vespula vulgaris ) and the hornet are yellow and black and the bumble bee too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the ones I see in the wild are yellow and black, so they will be wasps and bumble bees.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read here about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter_bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
I have also never seen that bee before- it is rather beautiful. Very nice first shot uddhava.

Thank you. When I was living in NC we had a similar bee that was also called a carpenter bee. It would drill a very neat hole in the untreated wood of a log house I was building. I suppose it is the same bee as this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus, you've inspired me to go bee spotting now! I see lots of bumble bees and wasps, but have never seen a black bee. I shall return with photo evidence of my observations! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
StillSanj wrote:

Thank you. When I was living in NC we had a similar bee that was also called a carpenter bee. It would drill a very neat hole in the untreated wood of a log house I was building. I suppose it is the same bee as this.

It is a large group of bees actually, not all are pitch black!

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thanks Klaus, you've inspired me to go bee spotting now! I see lots of bumble bees and wasps, but have never seen a black bee. I shall return with photo evidence of my observations! Smile

Wish you best of luck, very interesting species and very pretty! Only to be found on very specific plants though.