Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Vario Tevidon 2/18-90mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Vario Tevidon 2/18-90mm Reply with quote

Question: what mount is this:
http://buyeng.ebay.com.hk/buying/hk/display/160510445049_Carl-Zeiss-Vario-Tevidon-21890mm-7319

I bought a specimen with such mount too. I also received original tele extender and macro add-on by Zeiss. Anyway my lens still has all the motorization present. Before i unscrew it all i'd like to know on which equipment was this lens initially. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a special bajonet mount made by Carl Zeiss Jena for their Video equipment. It needs a converted mount to c-mount, but even then that mount needs to be machined down to fit available c-mount adaptors.

That lens has quite some vignetting btw.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to directly install m4/3 then i guess. Some vignetting i don't mind. I cannot imagine lens so good looking would make bad picture Smile.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know to which side i have to unscrew the bayonet adapter?

See this 2x Extender on photo that i cannot turn but i guess it's just stuck a bit. I would like to know to which side i have to apply full pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See that knob left where the word EXTENDER starts? This is the bajonet locking ring which needs to be unlocked. Turn counterclockwise if you look at the rear.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean i should unscrew two screws holding that knob and remove it (i already tried that)? It seems that knob is there only to help turning the ring.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nothing to unscrew. Just turn that knob (level) counterclockwise. It locks in really hard at times. This is a special bajonet Zeiss Jena has developed for their video lenses. I know that since I had such an bajonet adaptor (to M42 in my case) which mechanically looked alike.

I gave that level a few mild taps with a small hammer which loosened it.

This is how that bajonet looks like under that adaptor (picture borrowed from another thread here):

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus! Your confidence made me use all force and it moved Smile. Now i have "normal" Tevidon and very rare 2x Extender (most probably just another word for tele-converter).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Now you just need to have a mechanic make you a plate that fits a c-mount adaptor and you're all set to shoot!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a local mechanic school nearby and i know i professor that likes to teach his pupils with such samples.

Funny thing: the extender condensed image circle to 1cm diameter with strict border. I was only hoping that after i remove it the image will become larger and luckily that really happened.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
There is a local mechanic school nearby and i know i professor that likes to teach his pupils with such samples.

Funny thing: the extender condensed image circle to 1cm diameter with strict border. I was only hoping that after i remove it the image will become larger and luckily that really happened.

But not enough, it severely vignettes at the short focal end! Mine, although converted, sits around unused (also due to its size).