Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Ultron some help needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Ultron some help needed Reply with quote

Picked this up for a good price as it has a finger print on the inner front element, so it's probably been worked on before but I need to clean it up for resale!!

I just want to ask if anyone has had a chance to work on these before as I cant seem to get the front name plate off, no slots to fit a spanner tool and I'm not sure if it is meant to be removed from the front or if I need to start at the back of the lens to get to it.

Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very front end of the lens just behind the knurled section are two tiny grubscrews, if you remove these then the nameplate will drop out of the front.
Look at the front lens and you can see 2 square ears that were hidden by the nameplate, using these you can unscrew the front lens block from the body (normal anticlockwise direction).

I've never had to get the lens block apart so from here you are on your own but I imagine it will be obvious one you reach this stage.

Do not attempt to dismantle the mount end of the lens unless you have to because it can be quite a juggling act getting it back together.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Ramon, can't seem to locate any grub screws, its the BM mount version with the chromed front end.......dunno if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked on 3 different Ultrons and they have all had the grubscrews, addmittedly they were all M42 fitting.

If yours is different then I haven't got a clue.

[/img]

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah unfortunately no grub screws on mine and I haven't been able to get the name plate to budge.....many thanks though!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sell it without cleaning the finger print.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but it's always worth more if the lenses are clean and they go for a pretty sum:D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Layer-cake, did you manage to open it?

I have an Ultron 50/1.8 QBM but it is Voigtländer, not Zeiss. If it is any similar, you grab steadily the protruding front part of the lens barel and turn it counter clockwise. It will unscrew and come off. There you will se the 3 screws that hold the focusing ring. I didn't go any further since I only needed to relube the helicoid.

&Notko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, no I havnt managed at this point. I'll try what you said but I'm always so scared that I'll twist or break off the guiding pin but its a different design compared to the voightlander one. worked on a rollei planar and that had the similar construction to the voigt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a friction tool will unscrew the name plate bezel. I use a sausage of blu-tak - it works a treat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought it that I could use a friction tool but I'm starting to doubt it, normally with a friction system would have the threading but there isn't any available or if you take a Konica 40mm, its a clip system but that's a plastic front cap and I don't think considering the age of the lens that it would work on a Clip system basis also with it being a full metal type I'm not too sure.

really a bit stumped with this one......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phils is right. You need to use a a friction tool to unscrew the name plate bezel which is holding the front lens group.

BTW, have you post any photos taken with manual lens? It will be a good idea to see some photos from SA. It will also be nice if you make a small donation to the forum if you benefit a lot from here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel I should apologies for not sharing, I always mean too and then land up doing something else. came across this the other day and it sort of summed it up well how I feel most of the time:

I really will make some time available to sort through my images and give some of the nice examples I do have of what I have taken.

Thanks for the insight on the ultron.