Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Ultron filter thread/hood problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Ultron filter thread/hood problem Reply with quote

Well my shiny new ultron has arrived in the post, just in time for Christmas, but the first thing I noticed was the unusual lens cap and filter mount. I would really like to get a hood for this lens but have no idea where to start?

Does anyone know what type of filter mount this is? Im guessing I will have to brush up on my DIY "skills" and make a hood but I would really prefer not too. Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is Contarex bajonet filter mount. Filters can be found on ebay
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQLHQ5fPrefLocZ2QQ_dmptZAutoteileQ5fQ5AubehQc3Qb6r?_nkw=filter++contarex&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=filter++B56&_osacat=0
and hoods also
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQLHQ5fPrefLocZ2QQ_dmptZFilmQ5fCameras?_nkw=%28hood%2C+sunshade%29++contarex&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=filter++contarex&_osacat=0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You have to show us the shape of lens, there are different Ultron 1,8/50s.
I am not 100% sure of it, my Ultron has the innner bayonet filter or hood
thread. But the out side of shinny ring have 55 or 56 mm thread, you have
to see closely.

I will show it, hoever I have a guest right now. LATER. Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by koji on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now our guest has gone. Laughing

If your Carl Zeiss Ultron 50/1.8 is not this lens, please disregard the rest.

You can see sort of inner bayonet for filter and/or hood, very special.

Now you see the outer shinny part of lens front (side view), there is HIDDEN thread here.
This outer thread has 55-ish (more like 56mm) diameter I think.

So someone made a special female-female (this time correct, Very Happy) adapter!
(I bought it in Tokyo, very limited production of 100 pieces.)

There is 55mm filter thread is inside, so any 55mm diameter hood is installed.

But do not despair, you can find a hood for original Canonet, which tighten up
by a screw to appox. 56mm diameter lens barrel. Or similar hood is available.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the help. That is indeed my lens. How on earth did you discover that thread koji? It was difficult for me to find even after you told me about it....

I have come across a 55mm female hood marked ZEISS IKON VOIGHTLANDER. Do you think that would be it? The seller has no idea what lens it fits...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found out by accident "seller of Icarex lens filer adapter"
in japanese speciality shop. I think they sell items onlly within japan,
but this shop is pretty new one. See > http://www.nocto.jp/shopdetail/015000000001/order/

This filter adapter has 52mm female thread, so common filters
can be used for Ultron50/1.8, Tessar 50/2.8, Color Panther 50/2.8,
Skoparex 35/3.4, Dyanrex 90/3.4, Super Dynarex 135/4, and
Distagon 25/4 for Icarex cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:

Now you see the outer shinny part of lens front (side view), there is HIDDEN thread here.
This outer thread has 55-ish (more like 56mm) diameter I think.

Thank you very much for that clarification. I recently bought the Ultron 50mm f/1.8 M42 lens, but without the hood. Upon searching threads on the internet for the hood of this lens, I found out your post. A bit later, I managed to acquire the B56 screw type, rubber-collapsible lens hood by ZEISS IKON VOIGTLÄNDER that fits perfectly with this lens. I presume it is the exact hood for this lens as it screws perfectly on this hidden thread and also once it has been screwed on fully is flush on the inside with the upper rim of the lens.

On the rim of the hood, one can see three designations: "ø56" (i.e. diameter 56mm), "ZEISS IKON VOIGTLÄNDER" and "WEST GERMANY".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the same lens I discovered how expensive the Ikarex bayonet hoods were and chose a different route. I bought an Ikarex bayonet UV filter ($20 USD) and a cheap Chinese metal lens hood ($6.00 USD), removed the glass from the filter ring and glued the ring to the back of the lens hood. It worked just fine.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Adding to this thread, there is a Taiwan-based seller that seems to have an Icarex B50>52mm filter adapter available.

If you search for this on Amazon or Google:
"Bokkeh Icarex B50-52mm Thread Filter Adapter"

Looks to be about US$35 delivered here in the US.

So, I've ordered and will update this thread when it comes.

This should be 'fairly' simple to design and produce via 3D printing...alas my skills to not extend to CAD and such...in a few years my 12 year old might tho' Smile

I've just lucked into a fungus-filled example of the 1.8 Ultron.The whole lens is a bit dirty. I've the tools and experience to carefully disassemble this puppy and clean it up.

By the time I get the adapter I will have this poor lens ready:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggboy wrote:
Hi All,

Adding to this thread, there is a Taiwan-based seller that seems to have an Icarex B50>52mm filter adapter available.

If you search for this on Amazon or Google:
"Bokkeh Icarex B50-52mm Thread Filter Adapter"

Looks to be about US$35 delivered here in the US.

So, I've ordered and will update this thread when it comes.

This should be 'fairly' simple to design and produce via 3D printing...alas my skills to not extend to CAD and such...in a few years my 12 year old might tho' Smile

I've just lucked into a fungus-filled example of the 1.8 Ultron.The whole lens is a bit dirty. I've the tools and experience to carefully disassemble this puppy and clean it up.

By the time I get the adapter I will have this poor lens ready:

Not a simple lens to work on, in particular the hook that engages the auto stop down mechanism. I have this one the Tessar 50/2.8 the 135/4 in M42 and the 35/3.4 in the original Icarex mount, by the time i CLAed the last lens it almost became easy to put back the mount part of the lens, almost. Of course this doesn t matter if you ll only remove the lens elements.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas the entire lens needs to be disassembled. There was definitely a moisture issue. I've had to put a drop of high quality penetrating oil on the grub screws on the front knurled ring and on the three screws in the back.

When I start to disassemble I will take pictures of it. There is another thread on this forum around the disassembly. I will post there.

I have ordered the filter adapter from taiwan. Should be here in a month.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one Icarex BM Ultron that has the original odd 2 tab bayonet lens cover. I also have a set of close up filters and a boxed collapsible rubber hood. The other (also the lower valued Icarex BM) I fabricated a suitable one from a regular lens cap some pvc, scissors and glue.