Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Tele-Tessar 3.5/200
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Tele-Tessar 3.5/200 Reply with quote

Some days ago, I took advantage of one of those universally known as "idiot sellers" Laughing Wink who was selling this lens - in absolutely NEW condition - without accepting Paypal and with shipping to Italy only.

He listed the item with a minimum offer of 190 Euros. Nobody was bidding. The day before the end of this auction, the same lens was for sale in another auction, also in Italy, but with that auction the seller accepted Paypal and offered worldwide shipment.

That object, was finally sold (to abroad) for more than 400 Euros!

On my object, I was the only bidder, and I took it home for 190 Euros, in a much better condition than the other lens (and mine also has the original caps, which somehow help in case of resale).

The lens arrived shiny new. Incredible. Barrel like new, and absolutely nothing inside the glasses, not even the minimum dust.

I was a bit skeptical at first about this lens, because it is a Tessar. I thought it would have not been up to the quality of the Sonnar 180. But to my surprise, I read the MTF tests from Zeiss and saw that this lens has slightly better MTF results than the Sonnar 180.
So I decided I should try it, at least.

Well, it exceeded even my most optimistic expectations. The lens is extremely sharp. Probably more than my CZ Jena Sonnar 180, which is reputed (don't know how right or wrong) to be better than Oberkochen's Sonnar 180.

The lens of course it's not free from some little limitations. Wide open, it vignettes visibly - but so does the Sonnar 180. And also wide open, it has some purple fringing - but again, so does the Sonnar 180, although probably Sonnar is a little better under this respect.

Anyway, from f/5.6 on, the lens is a champion under every respect.

But the most stunning quality of this Tele-Tessar is, for me, the incredible saturation. I have obtained photographs, that look like they have been over-saturated in Photoshop, while they are absolutely the simple product of the lens.

Another definitive plus: the weight. This is, by far, the lightest 200mm lens I have ever handled. Of course, this was to be expected, being a Tessar - which means, only 4 glass elements, compared to the whooping 9 glass elements of the Sonnar 180 (whose glass elements are also larger).

I have prepared a sample album with images from this lens:

www.orio.ws/temp/album_tele-tessar_200f35/index.html

Please note, that I did NOT change the saturation on these images!!
Don't believe me?
Ask me for any RAW file of the series, I will send it to you so you will have the proof.

I ask you for some collaboration here. I have tried changing the format of the presentation of the lens samples, I have added crops of full size immediately after the main resized images (and not with separate links).
Please let me know if you find this setup useful, or confusing.
I need to set up the sample pages in my web site, so i need sincere critiques here.
If you have URLs of sample galleries that you think are more useful to watch, please point them to me. I want to make galleries that are useful and simple at the same time.

-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you friend lot of similar seller Smile Congratulation!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, whenever on a lens I like I read "ships to Italy" and payment no Paypal, I get the fever Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, bokeh is lovely too. I have added some 100% crops rightly to show the bokeh instead of the detail. You will recognize them.

-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Orio.
It's in my watch list for a long time.
It's a T*, huh?
It seems, regarding the picture, that it renders to much red.
The same thing I've notested it with my CZJ 135, f/3.5.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats for your new mint lens
the color are indeed very strong
this lens have 6 elements in 5 groups
The galleries is confusing, I can use it but could be better

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

this lens have 6 elements in 5 groups

Really? Then why the helga have Zeiss called it Tessar?
Anyway it's very lightweight.

poilu wrote:
The galleries is confusing, I can use it but could be better

I think so too. I would like a better way, but I don't have any idea.

-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Congrats Orio.
It's in my watch list for a long time.
It's a T*, huh?
It seems, regarding the picture, that it renders to much red.
The same thing I've notested it with my CZJ 135, f/3.5.

The problem with the red is in the crappy sensor Sad
Red in CCD and CMOS cameras is photographed at a 8-bit resolution Sad Sad Sad
I bet that used with film this lens will make wonderful reds. I'm going to try it with the Contax 167mt soon.

-