Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 HFT (QBM)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I suspected that would be the answer apart from the value which I had thought would be less than £100.
The Planar I could describe as 'Pristine' so I will live in hope.
I bought The Rollei SLR on a whim in Canada some time ago and have never given it any use.
As to other gear there is very little of real interest left that is worth advertising separately.
The Canons, Pentax, Minoltas, etc together with the filters, close up supps. flash units, meters, tripods, monos, lighting kit, studio flash and the bags cases etc all will go to our local auction in 3 or 4 large apple boxes although the 9.5mm cine kit I may keep out of nostalgia!
My Brother in law has/had the Grey Baby Rollei TLR that was my fathers favourite and it is probably stored somewhere on their farm
It is a wonderful thing and should be used but that is not under my control unfortunately.
Thanks for the prompt and useful reply
Cheers
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, get yourself any of the Fuji X-series CSC bodies (a secondhand X-E1 would be ideal - you can pickone up around £150-£180) and use the Planer with a QBM-FX adapter. My CZ Planar 50/1.4 HF is one of the two lenses I used most on my X-Pro1 (the other is the Fuji 23mm).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update, the CZ Planer 50/1.4 HFT has become a firm favourite - how could it not be when it produces details as crisp as this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeSalt wrote:
A quick update, the CZ Planer 50/1.4 HFT has become a firm favourite - how could it not be when it produces details as crisp as this?

Agree!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my guide to correct infinity setting of this lens.

Unlike well-described QBM Planar 50/1.8 or C/Y Planar 50/1.4, the QBM 50/1.4 does not feature infinity adjustment screws hidden behind its nameplate. I guess, it's because the lens barrel was already pretty wide so there was not enough space for them.

This lens' focusing ring has got four fine set screws. Three of them (marked red on the picture) are placed symmetrically in the same distance from each other and also from the ending of rubberized grip. The fourth one (marked blue) is placed near the grip ending.

In order to set the infinity you have to loosen the focusing ring by completely unscrewing the screw #4 and loosening the rest of them. Now you can rotate the focusing ring without actually focusing. This allows you to set a correct position of the ring to gain infinity focus of the lens.

After you are done with finding the correct position, you simply tighten the screws #1,#2 and #3. However, the screw #4 is a longer one and can't be fully screwed back in! This is because it acts as an arrest screw which protrudes into the lens barrel itself. When you inspect the inner lens barrel, you can see there is a hole drilled in it right at the position of the former infinity setting to accommodate this protruding screw.

Ideally, a new hole at the new infinity setting should be drilled into the barrel to allow the screw #4 to be fully screwed in. That way the new infinity setting gets fully fixed. However, it is possible to use the lens having just those three set screws.