Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 Reply with quote

I bought from the seller in Swiss. Price: 100 CHF. This lens has very rough looking, but the optical element is original and the focus ring is smooth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to remember that you also have the 1.7 version.
If so you will notice immediately that the 1.4 is not as sharp wide open, but is has a very peculiar character of its own, that makes it ideal for portraits (especially on crop camera). And from f/4 onwards, it really sings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have.
I heard that the 1.4 version is not better than the 1.7 in the same setup. But the first feeling of the 1.4 was more interesting and more breathless! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have verified this. When I show people a picture taken with the 1.4/50, many are impressed, even if by inspecting the image, it's not as sharp as some other lenses may be. But if it won the prize for all-time best 50mm lens (Leica Summicron came second) there must be a reason why. I don't know how to call it differently but "organic quality". This lens makes the most boring things around us look alive. It is a very rare quality. Another lens that has it it's the Helios-40-2. Another, in my opinion, it's the MIR-24.
But these lenses are very rare cases, most lenses look like normal, maybe super sharp, but nothing special.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great price for an excellent lens! Congrats!