Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss JENA ! with K Pentax mount !?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss JENA ! with K Pentax mount !? Reply with quote

Hello,

Searchig the ebay I hound this:
CLICK FOR CARL ZEISS JENA 2.8/28 - K PENTAX MOUNT
Is this original ? It doesn't look like an B Praktica mount lens: http://praktica-b.org/czj_2.4_28.htm
I don't find among these lenses, this model "2.8/28" : http://www.praktica-users.com/lens/blenses.html
Some ideea ?
Thank you.

Cosmin.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, "original" not made by Carl Zeiss Jena! They sold the brand name to Japanese manufacturers right before communism was end in Eastern-Europe.
This is a Japanese lens perhaps ok, like Cosina also made many Carl Zeiss lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Praktica B and Pentax K bayonets are fairly similar to the extent that I adapt K mount rear caps to fit PB lenses, although not to the extent of actually being able to mount lenses.

Towards the end of production, a lot of lens manufacture was out-sourced to the far east - this may be one of those lenses.

It could be that the seller has mistaken the lens mount for PK although you'd be better asking them to be sure.

Here's the same lens in M42:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thank you,

Wow, that M42 so called CZJ is identical with the one with K mount (except the mount itself, of course). It says on the barrell, "Lens made in Japan unsed licence" !?
Well I found this CLICK_HERE
Attilla I think you are right. The lenses are similar if not identical (even the fonts are the almost the same I think).
http://www.taklong.com/marketplace/s-mk.php?No=14092
http://fuuma-mfuk.com/daily/05020101.jpg
Yes, it is a rebadged Cosina lens.

Thank you again.

Cosmin.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know nothing about this lens quality I collect all kind of Carl Zeiss Jena lenses, except these ones. Might be good might be not , but definetly not Carl Zeiss Jena.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Japanese lens, and I seriously doubt about the quality, because this is a company who bought the name only from Carl Zeiss Jena, and sold their own lenses without the Zeiss Jena being involved in any stage of the production.
The case of the Japanese made Zeiss lenses is very different, the lenses produced in Japan for Carl Zeiss, by Kyocera (Yashica) first and Cosina recently, were Zeiss-designed lenses produced with Zeiss equipment and submitted to the quality control of Zeiss Germany people with Zeiss measuring instruments.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Well, the lens were sold with ... USD 173 !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was kind of stupid in my opinion. If I would buy this quality lens I will buy a Vivitar around 20 USD. Is anybody have experience this kind of Japanse "CZJ" lenses ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one:
THIS_TIME_A_ZOOM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is frequently show up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Jenazoom 28-200 Reply with quote

Hello,

Did you hear about Jenazoom ? Well, here is one: Carl Zeiss Jena - JenaZoom II - 28-200
very similar if not identical with this one Exakta 28-200
, except the mount of course (Canon FD vs. Pentax KA)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Japanese made German lenses Reply with quote

I have a Voigtlander made by Cosina, who have now dropped that line to manufacture the new and very highly regarded zeiss lenses. It is superbly made, very sharp, good colour and fine OOF rendition - one of my favourites and completely manual in a nikon fitting. As Attila and others have pointed out - it depends very much on who is making the lens and under what conditions. The Cosina shop seems to have very good quality control.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick I am most interested in your Voigtlaender, could you please tell me how many blades the iris has?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina is a very interesting maker the produce superb Carl Zeiss or Voigtlander lenses and crap Cosina like 100mm macro 3.5.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Cosina is a very interesting maker the produce superb Carl Zeiss or Voigtlander lenses and crap Cosina like 100mm macro 3.5.

Attila I think they mostly work for hire, so the quality of their work largely depends on the funding and assignments they receive.

If Zeiss does with them what they did with Kyocera, you can understand where the quality comes from: Zeiss Germany provided the machinery, instructed the technicians, and gave Kyocera their Zeiss "recipe" to fuse the glass. And finally, quality control was either done in Japan with Zeiss machinery, or, for some lenses, it was done directly in Oberkochen.

Of course, if another hirer says to them "build for me one thousand lenses in two weeks and use this cheap material", the result can not be the same.

I don't know who owns Voigtlaender now, but Voigtlaender is a prestigious name in photography, so it's likely that the current owners wanted a line of products that was up the quality tradition of Voigtlaender.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like this behavior like same producer make Opel Astra and a Porsche.I have bad feel about this, but I know globalisation and extra profit requirement. We all know how expensive a Zeiss lens and they can't keep in Germany ? I suppose nobody can accept in Italy to make Ferrari or Lamborghini in China or Japan.Right ? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I don't like this behavior like same producer make Opel Astra and a Porsche.I have bad feel about this, but I know globalisation and extra profit requirement. We all know how expensive a Zeiss lens and they can't keep in Germany ? I suppose nobody can accept in Italy to make Ferrari or Lamborghini in China or Japan.Right ? Smile

Laughing
I understand what you mean. Keep in mind however that expensive cars have a completely different market. Someone who has the money to buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini can also buy a house with that money! So there is no real competition in that market, because if someone wants a Jaguar, he buys a Jaguar, if he wants a Ferrari, he buys a Ferrari. He is not undecided between a Jaguar and a Ferrari, if you know what I mean.

For lenses, there is much more competition. First even when expensive, the money is still low compared to big cars, so the market is wider. And you have to win the competition of Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc. which have lines of production in cheaper Japan. At the same quality level, a Zeiss lens produced in Germany would cost too much to final user compared to the same lens built in Japan.
So it was sort of unavoidable that Zeiss did that. This move helped Zeiss to survive. Leica did not want to do that, and now they are in financial troubles, and had to give up anyway many of the features that made them famous (like preparing the glass in platinum pots), so they had to make more compromises now, just because they did not want to adjust production line previously. So what happens now is that Leica just license their name to be put on crappy Panasonic lenses that are completely made in Japan without Leitz being involved in the production at all.
WHile Zeiss has their production line in Japan that they control completely and are able to keep a higher quality standard even for their most consumer lenses (the Sony line),

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care Zeiss profit Smile I like if German products made in Germany not anywhere else I am a patriot Smile Even if I like very much Japanese and Chinese people and their culture. Carl Zeiss hundred years old tradition this name , brand, means Germany to me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I don't care Zeiss profit Smile

I think Zeiss does Wink

Anyway I read an essay on the subject once, put it shortly, a no-Japan production Zeiss would have meant no more Zeiss by now.
So after all I am happy they did it, and that they are still alive to produce beautiful manual focus prime lenses in the age of plastic autofocus zooms.

I have more than one Zeiss lens in both Japan and German version, and the differences between them are not higher than the common copy-to-copy variations that we always find between same lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least this is a good news, but in Ukraina Arsenal also produce Zeiss lenses Smile Jupiter-9 perhaps still in production Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
At least this is a good news, but in Ukraina Arsenal also produce Zeiss lenses Smile Jupiter-9 perhaps still in production Smile

Yes, as far as I know the J-9 is still in production.

And if LZOS is smart, they would resume production of Helios-40-2. I bet they would still sell a lot of them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I didn't know that , this is a really good news, hopefully they are serious.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Hey I didn't know that , this is a really good news, hopefully they are serious.

Yes, my copy of J-9 is brand new, I think from year 2002.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I think I learn some about this lens afterall. I will try that out when I receive it and see if it is a good buy or not...hopefully something close to the pentax SMC A 70-210....... Confused Confused

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Patrick I am most interested in your Voigtlaender, could you please tell me how many blades the iris has?

Sorry Patrick for answering this question that was addressed to you, but I happen to have two of the Cosina made Voigländer lenses: the Apo-Lanthar 125/2.5 macro and the Apo-Lanthar 180/4 close focus. Both have an iris with 9 blades and are superbly built. Image quality is outstanding. These are apochromatic lenses: they are totally free of chromatic aberrations. The 180mm is also totally immune to purple fringing on digital cameras (exceptional for a telephoto lens), while the 125mm only exhibits a very small amount of purple fringing under some rare circumstances. Of course, sharpness, contrast and color rendition are superb. Both lenses really deserve the Voigländer name.

Cheers!

Abbazz