Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena T Biotar 75mm f1.5 in portrait action
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena T Biotar 75mm f1.5 in portrait action Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I don't know why, but I was expecting dreamy pictures wide open.
Perhaps it's not true after all that the Helios-40 is derived from this lens.

Anyway great portraits as usual, after a while I even came to like the framing in pic #2 (usually I hate heads cut off from portraits). But here it works, it helps focusing the attention on the baby (who by the way must be the most beautiful baby I ever saw - the line of the eyes and eyebrows is enchanting, it seems drawn by Raffaello)

I always told you you are a great portraitor, but no!! you insist in shooting cropped twigs and bugs' asses and filthy grounded leaves! Bah !! You'll never understand! Very Happy Wink

_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks Orio! If need creamy bokeh Biotar not a good choice that is true, many lens with better bokeh available.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. I have read that this biotar is sharp even at wide. I never tried the helios but I heard from many places that the helios is soft at wide open.
I like sharp lenses so I presume that I will take the biotar if I have a chance.

The last pic is my fav. You cathed the old guys expression really well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sqwall! I like Helios-40 for portraits as well and Biotar 75mm f1.5 in extreme lighting. Biotar laser sharp at wide open!
Look at this.

Full gallery, most pictures taken with wide open!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Yes ... biotar is my kind of lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need Biotar 75mm f1.5 as I saw you can make better shoot with bottom of glass than many people with finest lenses (including me). I love really your works.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Strange, I don't know why, but I was expecting dreamy pictures wide open.
Perhaps it's not true after all that the Helios-40 is derived from this lens.

Except for the front element the Biotar and the Helios-40 are quite similar, almost identical. Of course the Helios is much larger with a weight about double that of the Biotar.

At close range, the Helios isn't too bad even wide open. Here is a down-sampled bookshelf shot with the Helios mounted on the 5D, f/1.5 (NB: the focus is almost certainly slightly off because this is a quick, hand-held shot, and the DOF is extremely thin at 2 meters - especially for pixel peeping!):

and a corner crop:

At the extreme lower left corner the sharpness is in fact better than with any of my wide-angle lenses wide open. With some local contrast enhancement it looks almost decent - even at this rather sick level of enlargenment:

At 50%, which is still quite large on screen, it already looks quite good:

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice, Attila!

#1: I like the expression of her face and gesture: shy, almost vulnerable, introvert, lost in thought and still "at home".

#2: The crop helps to concentrate on the baby. Some more of those incidents of light would have been perfect.

#3: Excellent composition and nice shadows!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Smile Thanks Orio! If need creamy bokeh Biotar not a good choice that is true, many lens with better bokeh available.

There is nothing wrong with the bokeh of this Biotar in these portraits, there are no distracting side-effects. With all lenses of the same focal length and aperture, the basic OOF background softness depends only on the relationship between the subject and background distances. A Helios-40 has a slightly longer focal length, which means that the background will be slightly softer when the distances are the same. However, this doesn't mean that the bokeh necessarily is better. The quality of the bokeh depends on the presence or absence of various distracting side-effects within the normal, optically dictated OOF softness, especially on the distribution of light in OOF highlights, i.e. a distracting bright edge or a neutral disc or a Gaussian peak. As far as I can tell, there isn't any obvious doubling of edges, and there are no distracting highlights. Of course, with a different background the bokeh might be worse, but even a Helios-40 can produce a very horrible bokeh at times, it is in no way an ideal lens as far as some "absolute" bokeh quality is concerned, some slower lenses are better although they cannot achieve even nearly the same degree of OOF softness.

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Really nice, Attila!

#1: I like the expression of her face and gesture: shy, almost vulnerable, introvert, lost in thought and still "at home".

She seems to be in the rather typical teenager mood - I can relate with that totally, if I go back with my memory to how often I used to feel the same in those years. Attila captured that very well.
But I would like to point out another thing: have you noticed how our Attila never takes a dummy or boring portrait? All that he shows us have something deep, like, a deep vision or understanding of the person.
I grant you it's not easy at all.
I tell you, our Attila guy has a real talent as portrait maker, something that he probably does not fully realize yet himself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the bokeh of this Biotar in these portraits, there are no distracting side-effects.
Veijo

I absolutely agree. For portraits, the best bokeh is not the one that jumps to your eye and makes you say "ooh", rather, it's the one which serves the main subject without being noticed.

I think I would really like this Biotar lens. Too bad it has often prohibitive prices.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much guys this nice words! Today I got an Olympus-OM 100mm f2.8 lens hopefully in the next few weeks I able to make some portrait with this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to support Orios statement: please more Portraits, Attila! Wink

About the sharpness of Helios 40: I've made the experience that the Helios 40-2 is very sharp even at 1.5. But only in the center and at short (portrait-) distance. Most shots are too soft because it's so difficult to keep the very thin focal plane even at the designated aim.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios-40 85mm f1.5

Helios-40-2 85mm f1.5

They are perfect lenses little softness at wide open makes better portrait lens than Biotar 75mm f1.5. I like Biotar to use for animal portraits instead of humans.