Manual Focus Lenses Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch|Quick search    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Rss feed   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm 2.8 range problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manual Focus Lenses Forum Index -> Equipment Care and Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fvdveen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm 2.8 range problem Reply with quote

Dear all,

First a small introduction: I am involved a lot with Nikon photography recently.
Last week, I found this Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm 2.8 lens at a small camera shop in Rotterdam

big photo 1

big photo 2

I dismounted and cleaned the lens, relubricated the focus thread and made the diaphragm fully operational again (apparently gets stuck often).

However: I cannot focus thoughout the entire focussing range 1.5m-infinity. At 1:2.8, the current range is about 3m-40m. The lens simply won't move sufficiently between the outer values.

Do you have an idea why the range is limited, or is this normal behavior?

Many thanks in advance for your comments,

Frits.

Last edited by fvdveen on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ManualFocus-G

Level 4

Expire: 2014-11-24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm 2.8 range problem Reply with quote

fvdveen wrote:
Dear all,

First a small introduction: I am involved a lot with Nikon photography recently.
Last week, I found this Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm 2.8 lens at a small camera shop in Rotterdam

[img]http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/201110/4809__DSC5645_1.jpg
big photo 1[/img]

big photo 2

I dismounted and cleaned the lens, relubricated the focus thread and made the diaphragm fully operational again (apparently gets stuck often).

However: I cannot focus thoughout the entire focussing range 1.5m-infinity. At 1:2.8, the current range is about 3m-40m. The lens simply won't move sufficiently between the outer values.

Many thanks in advance for your comments,

Frits.

Hello and welcome, I've moved your question into the appropriate forum for you Smile

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

Graham

Shooting things: Canon EOS 6D, Fuji X-E1 and Olympus E-PL5 with Carl Zeiss T*

See my Flickr photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/manualfocus-g and my blog at http://backtothefuturephotography.wordpress.com/
Olivier

Level 4

Expire: 2015-08-06

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frits and welcome Very Happy

What mount is it ?
Did you adapt it ?
Are you using it on a Nikon body ?

Mine has a pentacon-6 mount and the p6 to eos adapter is very large.
Could it be some explanation to your problem ?
Rangefinders : Zorki-1C + Zorki-1D + Zorki-3M + Zorki-4 + Kiev-4 + Kiev-4 AM
Medium format : Mamiya C3 Professional + Voigtländer Bessa I
Lenses : Angenieux * Carl Zeiss Jena * Cosinon * Fujinon * Hanimar * Helios * Industar * Jupiter * Meyer Optik Görlitz * MIR * Nikkor * Pentacon * Piesker * Prinzflex * Samyang * Soligor * Steinheil München * Schneider Kreuznach * Taďr * Super Takumar * Tamron * Tokina * Voigtländer * Volna * Will. Wetzlar * Yashinon * Zenitar
woodrim

Level 4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mount looks very suspect. I think it's a registration issue.
Olivier

Level 4

Expire: 2015-08-06

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
That mount looks very suspect.

+10
Here is mine with a Pentacon-6 to Eos adapter.
You can see it's a large adapter.
http://forum.mflenses.com/some-sonnar-2-8-180-shots-up-for-laurence-t28288,highlight,%2Bsonnar+%2B180+%2B2+%2B8.html
Rangefinders : Zorki-1C + Zorki-1D + Zorki-3M + Zorki-4 + Kiev-4 + Kiev-4 AM
Medium format : Mamiya C3 Professional + Voigtländer Bessa I
Lenses : Angenieux * Carl Zeiss Jena * Cosinon * Fujinon * Hanimar * Helios * Industar * Jupiter * Meyer Optik Görlitz * MIR * Nikkor * Pentacon * Piesker * Prinzflex * Samyang * Soligor * Steinheil München * Schneider Kreuznach * Taďr * Super Takumar * Tamron * Tokina * Voigtländer * Volna * Will. Wetzlar * Yashinon * Zenitar
peterqd

Level 4

Expire: 2014-01-04

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm 2.8 range problem Reply with quote

fvdveen wrote:
I cannot focus thoughout the entire focussing range 1.5m-infinity. At 1:2.8, the current range is about 3m-40m. The lens simply won't move sufficiently between the outer values.

Frits, are you saying you can't reach focus in the viewfinder when the focus dial is at the end stops, or the lens focus ring physically won't turn as far as the stops? If it's the latter then it's definitely a mechanical problem inside the lens. Possibly you reassembled the helicoil in the wrong threads or something similar?
fvdveen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,

Thank you for your replies so far.

The problem is in the helical. First, it went over infinity, with minimum focus close to 3.5 m. I made the lens re-enter the helicoil at another position, with the result described above. At least at 3m, I calibrated 3.01 m, so less than 1 percent difference!

The lens came as shown in the picture with a Nikon adapter plate screwed to the adapter flange. This looked an original modification, since only drill holes for the Nikon adapter plate were available. However, there is no mechanism to couple the Nikon diaphragm ring to the diaphragm mechanism inside the lens.

Also, the tripod mount is missing: a small block with tripod 1/4" thread and a slanted side with four fixation holes for screws.
If you happen to have one of these lying around, I would be very much interested.

Cheers,

Frits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manual Focus Lenses Forum Index -> Equipment Care and Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: