Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 1.4/50 experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 1.4/50 experience Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with this Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 1.4/50? I have Canon and wont to put on it with ebay adapter? Is this lens can comparable in quality and sharpness with Carl Zeiss Planar 50 1.4?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old thread about the PB->EOS adapter is here: http://forum.mflenses.com/pb-eos-adapter-pb-ef-adapter-t12569.html.

If you is not 5D nor 1Ds series with FF sensor, then the adapter should works but your lens might lost infinity. It is likely it will only focus at few meters at F1.4 when you turn the focus ring to inf mark.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 1.4/50 experience Reply with quote

Srdjan wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 1.4/50? I have Canon and wont to put on it with ebay adapter? Is this lens can comparable in quality and sharpness with Carl Zeiss Planar 50 1.4?

well, I don't know about Planar, but CZJ prakticar is sitting on my table Smile It is perfect from f2 but on f1.4 it has a very dreamy look - almost unusable. It cannot be put on FF even with the back stripped off non essential parts. The glass go too much in the mirror chamber.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same level with Planar and not step behind much 1000 USD plus Summi... Leica. I did try all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have v.I and v.II of this lens; both very, very nice performers with a distinctive look wide open. Kind of reminds me of an old Takumar 50/1.4, only background rendering is smoother in CZJ. Becomes very sharp stopped down a little.

That said, this lens will block the mirror on Canon 5DmkII when focused longer than about 10m (even if you remove the black plastic protective collar at the back of the lens). So it is mostly usable on crop bodies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just go for the planar personally as you won't have mirror or infinity issues on any canon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some test photos - and as I was saying. at f1.4 it has fuzzy dream-like focus (maybe some reflection from the chip? I used it on praktica film body and had no issues)

http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/prakticar_50mm_f14_first

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always matter who handle lens, how to process it and how actual lens was open and assemble wrongly , so may you find 100% opposite experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Always matter who handle lens, how to process it and how actual lens was open and assemble wrongly , so may you find 100% opposite experiences.

+1.

Sometimes two or more "same" lenses (brand, f.l. and version) have different rendering, and we ask ourselves why. Well........

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont to thank you everyone for quick answer. I use crop body at the moment, so I think I will try this lens.
About same lenses and different experience because of difference in quality. I must say that for example I had try about 25 lens CZJ Pancolars 50 1.8 and all of them was very good almost equal (despite evolution in construction), but I have one CZJ Biometar that gives me disaster photos. I reassembly this lens for at least 10 times and still lens gives me pictures that are dreamy and not sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO one of the best lenses ever produced by CZ Jena DDR.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
IMHO one of the best lenses ever produced by CZ Jena DDR.

Fantastic capture. Just beautiful. Love the mood and the expression. Is she a professional model?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Fantastic capture. Just beautiful. Love the mood and the expression. Is she a professional model?

Thanks. Nope, just a hobby of hers. In fact quite strong mathematician: http://ajdafosner.weebly.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great shots Pancolart!
As I said, it is very soft on f1.4. And I think it is not a fault, but property. One has to take it into account.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoeniks wrote:
great shots Pancolart!
As I said, it is very soft on f1.4. And I think it is not a fault, but property. One has to take it into account.

That is fault, I have two copies none of them very soft, not soft at all.

Great shoots , congrats to both model and photographer!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is not. it simply depends what you consider to be soft. mine is here:

and 100% crop from the fokus part

Maybe my lens is not that good - no argument. Send some 100% crops from yours Wink

Last edited by phoeniks on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite 50mm is canon FD 50mm f1.2. Softness on 1.2 is comparable to CZJ f1.4, but bokeh much better.

100% crop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
phoeniks wrote:
great shots Pancolart!

That is fault, I have two copies none of them very soft, not soft at all.

Great shoots , congrats to both model and photographer!

Thanks! Lens is as sharp as CANON 1.4/50mm SSC or sharper then Konica 1.4/57. Here some more "soft" wide-opens:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those are not soft images in fast lens range especially.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I think those are not soft images in fast lens range especially.

ok, I agree. My bad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

case closed, lol, thanks! Look forward more pics from you! I will find some too once I will have more time. Gear I think a bit emotional thing , not just pure technical stuff. Some grab our heart some not and luckily we have larger scale available than ever before. I don't like chart, MTF curves just shoots what I like or not. I am fond of Carl Zeiss (Jena) for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW thank you Pancolart and Attila for pictures and descriptions. Pancolart very nice photos I like them. Today I got lens, it is in very good condition, now I have to wait for adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how it compares to the Prakticar Jena 50 mm 1,8? (Equivalent to the Pancolar, not the Pentacon/Oreston.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugen Mezei wrote:
Anyone know how it compares to the Prakticar Jena 50 mm 1,8? (Equivalent to the Pancolar, not the Pentacon/Oreston.)
No side-by-side test done but it seems the 50/1.4 II got more CA in the f/1.8-2.4 range. On the other hand, its sharp "central zone" may be somehow larger.

The lens itself is beautiful but given its price... I'd just pick a Japan made 50/1.4 instead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an expensive lens and considering how great it is, it's actually a real bargain.