Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50/1.8: statements / questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50/1.8: statements / questions Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50/1.8: statements / questions

I got this lens by chance for a few Euro at a flea market. It looked very used and the manual focus was a little bit damaged, so that it was hard-steering. By time I recognized its high picture quality and found, that it can match with my Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35/2.4, which is "the reference" in my M42-collection. So I bought as a connaisseur a second version, mint.

Recherches in the web confirmed my subjective view. But I found over and over two statements, which I will discuss here:

(1) It was stated, that the nostalgic Jena-Pancolar is nearly equal to the Zeiss/West-Planar nowadays. People bought an expensive new lens and were disappointed. The see only a slight progress in contrast.
Examples:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7qf7h/zeiss/pancolar.html
http://slrlensreview.com/content/view/398/94/
http://www.lupomesky.cz/czj_vs_cz/comp50.html
As a Pancolar owner, I hear this with delight, but a voice inside is warning: "dont´t believe what you are wishing to hear - stay critical!"

(2) It was stated, that the Jena-Pancolar would be good, but much cheaper japanease lenses like the Pentacon would do the same job.
Example:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=26118725
Here I have the suspection, that it might give differences between several Pancolar variations and/or variations in quality ("spread of standard factory models"). Especially I assume a difference between the old "zebra-design" and newer black designs (some have only an aperture range from 1.8 to 16 instead of 1.8 to 22).
What people didn´t value enough too is the tight focus minimum of the Pancolar with 35cm. This is a precious attribute, it shares with the Flectogon 35/2.4. All the other fast 50mm-lenses beginn with 45cm, usually 50cm, which is a valid con.

So I own a fine trias "Flektogon - Pancolar - Sonnar", which is fitting for many photographic tasks. Cool
The only thing I have to bear, is the awful zebra-design of the Pancolar and a missing real wide-range prime-lens (here I use my Sigma 15-30/3.5-4.5 EX DG)... Confused

Last edited by Retro on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolar 50mm f1.8 one of the best 50mm lens. Zebra design is beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, I like you very much, but:
Quote:
Zebra design is beautiful!

Umph!!! Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes

So what: "chacun a sont gout". Arrow Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing All people have different opinion from different things , this is all right.I love zebra and other old designs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro

I use that Sigma and find it to be a surprisingly good lens especially down at the wide end. Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again for Attila.
That´s the solution for me:
Every time I use the Zebra-Pancolar, I don´t bother about the design, but think about the fact, that I have it in common with you. That ennobles this glas... Idea

to patrickh:
Yes I´m glad to have the Sigma 15-30.
Because of the multiplication factor of digital DSLR´s (with Sigma 1.7) you hardly can get a real WW.

But what about my questions or discussion points (for example: "is there a difference between the zebra or black versions?" - "how much is the Pancolar similar to the new Planar?" - "are there comparisons between the Pancolar and the Pentacon?").

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, Pancolar. My fave 50 by far. Mine is the electric MC version.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find samples with all Pancolar in mflenses.com/gallery.I have no experience with Planar. In my opinion no difference between zebra and black one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Pancolar 50mm f1.8 one of the best 50mm lens. Zebra design is beautiful!

+1

All old optics Carl Zeiss very remarkable Wink

PANCOLAR have Beautiful colour rendition, sharp on all range of diaphragms, beautiful a side and drawing! An objective soft yes the diaphragm 1.8-2 but should cover a little a hole and an objective becomes sharp and contrast...

I used black MC version:

some my portrets

OLYMPUS E330 + MC Carl Zeiss Jena DDR PANCOLAR auto 50/1.8

resize JPG

F/4

F/8

F/5.6

F/1.8

full size photo here:

http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=71

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your samples as you know already .... last two is my favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only two pictures load for me, so I will comment on those two:

- second picture, it is probably the sexiest picture I have seen in a long time!

- last picture, has fantastic bokeh!

-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VGR

Keep them coming - I agree with Orio on the boke of that last one - it's really like cream.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like cream = Pancolar...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does the Pancolar compare to the 50mm Takumars?
specially the K 1,4 and A 1,7?

optically
build quality wide?

thank you,
andreas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea I didn't have any of them. I had SMC Takumar 55mm f2 this lens has great bokeh, but I love Pancolar better.

I love any kind of Pancolar better than any other lens it's focal length.

50mm Pancolar the best 50mm lens to me
80mm also.

I have, had so many lenses in these focal lengths, but I can't find better lens than these.

Last edited by Attila on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As build, SMC Takumar 50 is better, more solid for sure.
Image wise, I prefer the Pancolar. But I often prefer German-Russian lenses over Japanese lenses, so my opinion is a bit biased.

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
As build, SMC Takumar 50 is better, more solid for sure.
Image wise, I prefer the Pancolar. But I often prefer German-Russian lenses over Japanese lenses, so my opinion is a bit biased.

-

very interesting Orio,
I wonder what the reasons for your bias are, why you prefer german and russian lenses over japanese, even though the takumars are better build.
well, you say image wise...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

very interesting Orio,
I wonder what the reasons for your bias are, why you prefer german and russian lenses over japanese, even though the takumars are better build.
well, you say image wise...

I just like the images better. Generalizing is not always possible. There are some Japanese lenses that I really like. For instance, I like some of the Takumars and all the early Nikkors very much. Lenses like the Nikkor 3.5/135, 2.5/105, and most of all 1.8/85 are for me on the same appreciation level as Germans or Russians.
Sometimes I also happen to like the newer Nikkors like the 1.4/50 AI. But in most cases, I find the AI and AF Nikkors to give images that are too "thin" for my taste, a bit anemic. I prefer images that have more of a "punch" when they come out from the lens.
I have the same feeling in worse degree for the Canon EF lenses, except for one, the EF-S 60 Micro, which is -as of today- the only AF lens that I really like - perhaps because I always use it in manual mode Laughing
Worst of the worst are for me the lenses by Sigma, I really dislike them, I made a mistake to buy some of them because they were affordable, but I already sold them all.
Tamrons are a bit better than Sigma, they have more body to their images, should I have to buy another EF lens again I would always prefer a Tamron over a Sigma.
But... give me a Zeiss, Leica, Meyer, Arsenal, Lytkarino lens over a Japanese lens anytime. Well, I don't mean this as an absolute judgement. It is just what is good for me and makes me happier Smile But I am not totally closed to Japanese lenses, I have more than 10 Nikkors still, and a few days ago I have bought a SMC Takumar 3.5/135 (for a very little price).
-