Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Olympic Sonnar 18cm "T" f2.8 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Olympic Sonnar 18cm "T" f2.8 M42 Reply with quote

Today I had great surprise I got my 5th copy from this lens and looks the best looking one, my other copies are well used.This one is almost MINT and it has 18cm label and with M42 mount! This is the first one with this mount, interesting combination the M42 mount and 18cm title, I believed this lens started with Exakta mount , followed by P6 and M42. I can't sell any of them Smile I am like a hamster hahahaha.

I found also a Telemegor 300mm f4 in excellent condition with P6 mount , I not expect much from this lens,but I always want to discover a new hidden gem. So let we see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great buy Attila, I look forward to see the pictures of this copy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will show you I am so happy with this lens, hopefully I able to make pictures soon. Amazing looking if we know more than 50 yrs old lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's amazing that some of these 50+ year old lenses can equal and in some cases outperform what some would consider to be modern day state-of-the-art optics. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Today I bought a lens from a guy who is an repair guy for the latest AF lenses.He had a chance to try the best ones he said CZJ 135mm f3.5 is a better lens than they are. I have only one AF lens this time the kit lens for Olympus E-1 (the cheap one). That is crap fully I don't like at all. I much more like any of old ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my new flagship Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila the lens is apparently multicoated, at least if the red T has the same meaning as in West Germany Zeiss - this is quite surprising, because the indication of focal lenght in centimetres is usually a sign that the lens is quite old.
Have you investigated about it?
Quite interesting!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not multicoated but "T" coated , this was famous zeiss coating I have a couple of lenses between II WW and 1956 they have also "T" mark. This was the highest level of Zeiss lenses, Western factory kept continue this marking and Eastern Part also used around 1950 like on Biotars.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Not multicoated but "T" coated , this was famous zeiss coating I have a couple of lenses between II WW and 1956 they have also "T" mark. This was the highest level of Zeiss lenses, Western factory kept continue this marking and Eastern Part also used around 1950 like on Biotars.

Any idea of what year is your copy from?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Attila the lens is apparently multicoated, at least if the red T has the same meaning as in West Germany Zeiss - this is quite surprising, because the indication of focal lenght in centimetres is usually a sign that the lens is quite old.
Have you investigated about it?
Quite interesting!

Have you seen this? :

http://www.cameraquest.com/oly180.htm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Have you seen this? :
http://www.cameraquest.com/oly180.htm

Thanks Peter, very interesting link.
I knew that current West Germany Zeiss' "T*" (T-star) was the technological evolution of the "T" coating method - then it seems I was wrongly convinced that the "T" method was multicoating while it was single coating.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this article thanks, I suppose might be Rick able to tell us the year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks Peter, very interesting link

I found it after I saw Attila's earlier message about the lens being 50 years old and I was curious why it was called Olympic, as it could only be from the time of Berlin 1936 or Munich 1972. I didn't know the "T" coating designation was originally used by the Jena factory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I read this article thanks, I suppose might be Rick able to tell us the year.

In the article it says that pre-war copies were silver barrel while post-war copies were black barrel.
Considering that your copy bears the FL indication in centimetres, and considering that in the years immediately following the end of WW2 the production was not likely restarted, I would make of very late Fourties (1948-49) or early Fifties (1950-54) my educated guesses for your lens' birth date.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has M42 end so I expect around 1950th, other copies are custom made P6 mount so they are perhaps earlier, but I am not sure at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
It has M42 end so I expect around 1950th, other copies are custom made P6 mount so they are perhaps earlier, but I am not sure at all.

I don't know the introduction dates for the M42 and P6 mounts, this actually would be very useful information to put on your website if you can find out about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the order only Exakta, M42 and P6.