Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena lenses infinity focus calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena lenses infinity focus calibration Reply with quote

I have dissasembled quite a lot of lenses, calibrated infinity, set the parfocality of a zoom, etc. But I have yet to figure out how to calibrate infinity on Carl Zeiss Jena (M42) lenses? Does anybody know where is the trick?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on which lens you are talking about, there is a lot of Zeiss glass out there Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very easy if you now what are you doing. If you dissemble lens, just mark positions so you not lose time to find it later. But if you forgot it and didn't market, again it is easy just need more times to find infinity position.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know hot to dissaseble and reassemble. The problem is, I can set infinity by droping the helicoids together at different postitions, or screw/unscrew the thin focus ring for 1 turn. But, this is all changing only in discrete steps. How is is possible to change the focus in very small amounts, as with usual lenses, where the focus ring is loosened from the front and just shifted to another position?

As for the other post Gonzoo, I am talking about newer M42 Zeiss lenses (non-zebra), Tessar, Sonnar, Pancolar, Flektogon...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way is as you mentioned, assembling helicoids together at different positions or focus ring. The other way from front is only possible with Carl Zeiss lens made in West German, but not with Jena ones. But I newer have problem with it, you can easy find infinity position.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has to be another way. They were somehow calibrated at the factory.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammo wrote:
There has to be another way. They were somehow calibrated at the factory.

That's what I thought too.
But after many tries and some research I gave up.
If you find something please share it here.