Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/50 on 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/50 on 5D Reply with quote

Some time ago, I promised to test on a 5D the Flektogon 4/50 for Pentacon Six. It certainly is quite usable on a 5D although it can get slightly soft at the edges, which doesn't , however, matter in all photos and at smaller print sizes, say up to 20 cm x 30 cm (8" x 12").

Here is a full frame:

and a quite decent crop:

Another shot:

(full-size at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos5d_fl50_files/f50_9200.jpg )

A sharpened crop:

There can be strange internal reflections like:

Here is an example of the softening and reflections at the left edge of a photo in portrait orientation:

The 4/50 is the 50 mm lens for beautiful lens flare:

More photos with the 4/50 at

http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos5d_fl50.html

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test. I have the lens but never noticed all that flare. I will test my own copy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Veijo:

Is your 4/50 the zebra type as I believe those versions were only single-coated - this might explain the flare on your copy.

I have a later MC version but like Orio I haven't tried it on my 5D either.

I do however, have what I believe is the correct 4/50 lens hood so at least I can try the lens with and without the hood.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Is your 4/50 the zebra type as I believe those versions were only single-coated - this might explain the flare on your copy.

It is the zebra type. The flare in the last example was in a way intensional, I used it for composition - the large front element of the Flek is very good for this purpose. I guess the MC version would have less flare and less internal reflections, but I didn't buy my Flek in order to get maximal IQ, I was seeking something optically different as I've got many enough high quality 50 mm lenses and having seen some MTF curves for the Flek I had no illusions concerning the IQ.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
bob955i wrote:

The flare in the last example was in a way intensional, I used it for composition - the large front element of the Flek is very good for this purpose. I guess the MC version would have less flare and less internal reflections, .....

I think some 35mm lenses also show this phenomenon. Takumar 35mm f2.2 I think) has huge front element and that causes lot of internal reflections, even hood doesnt work sometimes...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Cathedral is truly amazing! I like so much white building with blue sky.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting lens "personality"!