Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/50 on 350D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/50 on 350D Reply with quote

The Flek 4/50 is a wide-angle lens for Pentacon six medium format cameras, at first sight slow and large, very large, for use on a crop dSLR. Does it make any sense? I had had a P6-to-M42 adapter lying around for a couple of years and decided to do a test, the Fleks are plentiful and relatively cheap on eBay. Well, in this use it isn't a spectacular lens, but it can produce quite decent, usable and pleasant results. At the center, it is quite sharp already at the full aperture. The edges are soft, not very soft on a crop camera, but improve a lot stopping down.

The Flek certainly looks quite impressive on a 350D, NB. this is a SLOW 50mm lens with a maximum diameter of about 90mm:

Here is a full frame at f/4:

and a slightly sharpened crop from the same:

A sharpened, quite respectable looking, full-size copy is at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_flektogon50_files/fl50_7402_sharpened.jpg

and a larger selection of photos at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_flektogon50.html

There really is no reason not to use a Flek 4/50 if you have got one and an adapter, and you might even buy one just to occasionally show off -- the Flek certainly doesn't look like your everyday kit lens or some miserable 1.4/50 Smile

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about full frame (5D)...

Thanks for review.. I am trying to find this lens, but I have noticed, the prices have jumped a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
How about full frame (5D)...

I'll do a test soon. However, the apparent sharpness ought to be better at the center as the 5D has a lower linear resolution than the 350D. At the edge, at f/4, the sharpness of the lens will be lower, but the lower resolution requirement may negate that. At f/8, a 5D will be sharper across the field as the edge sharpness of the lens starts to drop only outside the frame.

Quote:
Thanks for review.. I am trying to find this lens, but I have noticed, the prices have jumped a lot.

The price level seems rather ridiculous at the moment, at least for dSLR use. The optical quality in the normal sense, i.e. sharpness and contrast, doesn't justify paying anything in excess of 100 Euros even for the MC version. It might be justified on the basis of the color rendition and the slightly different "signature" due to the relatively low contrast of the finest detail (in a way similar to the 4/180 Elmar-R though not perhaps as pronounced,) but probably only a connoisseur would appreciate this.

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one in Finland. Is it worth this money?

http://www.huuto.net/fi/showitem.php3?itemid=58424113

Edit: sorry, did not read the last one properly ..

By the way, the prices are much much higher here
than for instance in Germany. German e-bay
sells the same lenses for less than 10 € that
are 20-50 € in Finland.