Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Distagon 35 f2.8 in C/Y-mount..pricing question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Distagon 35 f2.8 in C/Y-mount..pricing question Reply with quote

Do you think Euro 79,- for a Carl Zeiss Distagon 35 f2.8 in C/Y-mount (good - very good condition) is a good price?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found in my database a MINT lens went for 73 GBP an another lens went for 41 GBP.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and the "cheaper" one has a Rollei mount, these lenses normally go for lower prices than C/Y lensen.
So, the price seems to be OK... Hmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for Distagon experts... Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Do you think Euro 79,- for a Carl Zeiss Distagon 35 f2.8 in C/Y-mount (good - very good condition) is a good price?

Yes, if it's good condition go for it, the price averages from 100 to 150 Euros for this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very tempting, but I wonder if I really should, since I got this excellent Nikkor 2.0/35 from you...
(And I would need a CY-EOS-adapter.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Distagon is sharper and with near zero distortion, so it's better for architecture and still life, the Nikkor is faster and therefore more useful as a walkaround lens on a crop camera.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very hard decision. Quite a number of sources, including you (and I highly regard your opinion), say this is a very good lens.
On the other hand, I have got the Nikkor and a Tak 35 and a MIR-1B (plus a Porst 1.8/35), thus more than enough 35mm of (very) high quality.

Furthermore, I save for my first Leica lens (this adapter I already have). It depends what I will find on the next camera fair. It might be a 35mm and then I'll bite myself that I have bought this Distagon, won't I?

Ach... (German exclamation of despair) Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Carl's boat..
Have Flek 35/2.4, Viv 35/2.8, Mir 37/2.9, Viv 35/1.9... I keep my eyes closed for 35mm lenses...
But wait.. I may jump on Yashica ML lens.. you know why...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on how much can you spend for a pleasure thing. You do not need this lens I think, as you are not a professional with specific needs to meet and for your own daily enjoyment the Nikkor is more than adequate.

The Distagon is a better lens but you will never find yourself shooting with the Nikkor and crying "ah if I had the Distagon instead".
In other words, you can live without it.

So it's merely a pleasure purchase, if you can afford it go for it and you will be pleased, if not, you will still be happy with your Nikkor.

A good reason to get the Distagon at that price could be that you will be able to resell it anytime and probably get a profit margin from the resale (if you are a good seller you can resell it for 150 Euros)

If you are planning on a Leica lens, get the 35mm Elmarit last version. It is the best-of-all Leica lenses in my opinion (at least of those I have tried) and incidentally it may solve this Distagon dilemma for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
...and incidentally it may solve this Distagon dilemma for you.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quite good offer has been made by a local store:

Zeiss Flektogon 2.8/20 (with a tiny scratch on the front glass) for Euro 125,-.

I did not check on this lens, but is somebody here who is interested? Then I will go and check...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio wrote:
...and incidentally it may solve this Distagon dilemma for you.

Very Happy

Well of course you will have to spend much more than EUR 75 for a 35mm Elmarit last version. This must also be taken into consideration.

But the Elmarit 35mm last version is a jaw dropping lens if you have at least 300 Euros to spend for it.
(An Elmarit 35 last version that costs less than 300 Euros is most likely scratched or fungused or otherwise defective, so take care to check carefully)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not sell all of your 35mm lens and take this Distagon ? One superb better choice than three others.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Why not sell all of your 35mm lens and take this Distagon ? One superb better choice than three others.

Yes, that surely sounds like a reasonable choice, but you know I like to play and I would never get rid of my MIR, my Tak35 and especially not of my Nikkor. I love these lenses! The only one I would consider to sell is the Porst 1.8/35.

No, I wouldn't trade these three lenses for a Distagon even if this is a better lens than the others. And € 79,- is not too high. I mean, it is possible to buy it without selling something. I just changed a little, every time I look at my cabinet and see this huge number of lenses, I get really rational and think at least twice if I need another one.

Orio, I know that the Leica Elmarit will be expensive, that's why I am saving for it and that's why I only will buy it at a camera fair where I can see and check the lens thoroughly.

But again, I might end up buying a nice 1.4/50 or 2.8/90... who knows?
It depends on what they will sell...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take this Distagon and try it , you able to sell easily if not like it, but I guess you will change your mind after if you shoot with this lens. I over spent my budget I need to sell before I can buy new lens.If I have more money this time I couldn't hesitate to buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I successfully had sold some of my lenses, I went to the local dealer and had a closer look at this € 79,- Distagon.
It looked good on first sight, my heart started to beat faster, then when I looked inside with a strong torch, I saw quite a few spots of dust, actually more than I would like to have and - what is even worse - some considerable cleaning marks at the rear element. (Much more than the Nikkor 24 has, Orio, just to give you an impression.)
OK, that's not what I am looking for. So money is saved to get the Leica lens. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
After I successfully had sold some of my lenses, I went to the local dealer and had a closer look at this € 79,- Distagon.
It looked good on first sight, my heart started to beat faster, then when I looked inside with a strong torch, I saw quite a few spots of dust, actually more than I would like to have and - what is even worse - some considerable cleaning marks at the rear element. (Much more than the Nikkor 24 has, Orio, just to give you an impression.)
OK, that's not what I am looking for. So money is saved to get the Leica lens. Wink

I was afraid of something like that. Eur 75 is a low price for Ebay, and usually real shops sell for higher prices than Ebay. So a Distagon for 75 Eur in a real shop was somehow likely to be not perfect.
I'm sorry Carsten, I hope you'll be luckier next time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

That's OK, don't worry. I would like to be lucky with the Leica lens.
End of November, next Solms camera fair... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked for an Elmarit-35 last version for you but I couldn't find any for sale currently, except one, for sale for 289 Eur, that I can not recommend, because I have bought it to have a spare a couple of months ago, but I found on it a couple of glass scratches that the seller (a real shop in Milan which also sells on Ebay) did not describe (not for malice - the employee just did not look well, they are invisible from the outside you can only see them with a torch from the inside), plus the lens was not as sharp as my first copy, so I returned it. The seller is very honest and he refunded everything including both shipping costs. Now they put it again for sale and they describe the two scratches. But as I said the lens is not as sharp as mine, I don't recommend it.
The other Elmarit 35 that are for sale are the previous version and according to reports, they are much inferior optically, so I would not risk with them, also because they are still not cheap - so better to stay with your Nikkor than to buy an expensive Elmarit first version that may not be much better if at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio wrote:

Ah yes, the Solms fair... you can't go wrong there Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Orio wrote:

Ah yes, the Solms fair... you can't go wrong there Smile

I'm going to bring my adapter and can "test" the lens at my 350D.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask seller in local photo shop to try lens what you intended to buy first, I believe you can't recognize any problem on photos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be right, Attila, but I do not want to pay € 79,- for a lens that hast dust inside and considerable cleaning marks at the rear element, no matter if you can see it or not. What if I want to resell it? Either I will have to be honest and lose money or say nothing try a rip off, either one is no option for me!