Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss 135 2.8 Sonnar..Question about it!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss 135 2.8 Sonnar..Question about it! Reply with quote

I just got a Zeiss 135 2.8 on ebay and was surprised to see that it has a built in lens hood. When the hood is out, it seems you can turn it a little and friction holds it out. But, when its retracted and you point the lens down, the hood slides out on it's own. There doesn't seem to be any friction to hold it in. Any way to solve this, or just live with it. It's a little inconvenient to have it always slide out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's annoying. I have the same problem with my Tair-11A.
In the case of Tair it was probably a non perfectly sized hood element.
I would exclude that for your Contax, as Contax lenses are mechanical jewels. The loose hood is surely the result of frequent usage - which is often a good sign for a used lens, as it means it's a good copy.

But there is no practical home made solution that I am aware of, except thickening the inside of the hood with something like masking tape, that has low amount of glue. However, before doing this, be aware of the inherent risk for the lens that even small amount of glue may cause over time, such as, becoming host and food for fungus.

My advice is to try to live with it and enjoy the exceptional lens that you have bought - one of the best 135mm lenses available.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here Jonathan!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135 MC also has a built-in hood and the friction for it to stay in place is provided by a strip of velvet stuck around the outside circumference of the lens barrel near the front end.

The velvet goes flat over time, resulting in a somewhat loose fit, but if you remove the hood for access, the material can be "plumped" up again, or replaced if need be.

In the case of the Jena Sonnar 135, the lens end/cover + hood can be unscrewed after releasing a small grubscrew that locks the cover in place. Close focus the lens, slide the hood forward and you will see the grubscrew. Slacken it and then unscrew the cover. Slide the hood back on the cover (you can't do this with the cover in place) and you will see the velvet strip just in front of the end stop for the hood.

If it bothers you, I would suggest something similar - it does work, and won't scratch anything.

And welcome.... Smile Cool

Last edited by bob955i on Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:28 pm; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, jljonathan! Enjoy your stay.
Nice lens, BTW!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob, this is a 135 2.8 T* Sonnar and when I close focus and pull out the hood all I see is a ridge of the hood, no screw. The hood has an end stop and if I rotate it, I think I can feel velvet in there. But I don't know how to get to it. Any more ideas?
Also, thanks to all for the welcome. I am new to digital coming from film and wanted to try manual focus again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry JL no idea with the Oberkochen Sonnars - I posted the info on the Jena Sonnar which I do have just in case they both shared a similar construction.

Going by what you're saying, it may be that you'll need to dismantle this lens further than what is necessary with the Jena version if you want to fix the hood.

If I'm correct, if you can't find appropriate instructions and if you're not confident about dismantling a lens, I'd suggest that you leave well alone.

That said, you may be able to insert something thin and flexible and non-scratching in between the hood and the barrel from the front, leaving enough so that you can remove it, then rotate both the inserted part and the hood 360 degrees, finally removing the insert to see if that brushes up the strip enough to grip the hood better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.8/135 Sonnar has no end stop for the hood. If it feels like yours has one, then it's a defect - maybe a hit that created a friction point.

-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was no end stop, the hood would just fall all the way out of the barrel. When you pull the hood out fully, it comes to an extended stop position. That's what I meant. Yours has it, there is something in there that stops it in it's fully extended position.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jljonathan wrote:
If there was no end stop, the hood would just fall all the way out of the barrel. When you pull the hood out fully, it comes to an extended stop position. That's what I meant. Yours has it, there is something in there that stops it in it's fully extended position.

Sorry, I misunderstood, since you mentioned rotating the hood, I thought that you were talking about a stop position in the rotation movement.