Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Jeiss JenaZoom 28-135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 28-85 f4-5 version for Praktica B
Tested it once on 350D and did not find this lens interresting, was too soft

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it was the later autofocus jena branded lenses that were made my Sigma.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Astrolupa wrote:
Thank you all for the enlightment, and specially to Seele for posting the photos of catalog. It seems it's a "real" Carl Zeiss lens manufactured with respect for CZ's standards.

Not quite sure I follow, it was certainly not made by Carl Zeiss Question

None of the current Zeiss lenses for SLR cameras are either. They are made made by Cosina - just like Voigtlander. .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the bold lettering!

Odd that these lenses apparently are mid 80's yet they have nothing to do with 'that period' when 'that period' would have them slap bang in gthe middle! lol

PBFACTS wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:
Hi,

I wondered how you cxame to be certain that Sigma was not the maker?

I have read many sources that would seem to confirm that Sigma did indeed make lenses for the Jena company to be sold in the European (and especially UK) market?

One such reference:

http://www.photography-forums.com/prakticar-carl-zeiss-jena-confused-hereford-t35991.html

As I said I have had the chance to compare two JenaZooms with their 'cousins' from Sigma and the genes whilst not 100% (colour of markings vary) are certainly close siblings?

Doug

Pancolart wrote:
This thing is usually sold as Exakta. This is fake Zeiss for sure. It surely doesn't have anything to do with Sigma either. Just check their 28mm Pentacon replacements and Prakticar ZOOMs. Too shaky even for CHINON and COSINA. It might be early Korean made and exported by Japan. I guess one cannot trust writing Made in Japan that real manufacture was set up there.

1- AGAIN, these lenses were made by Cosina (TypicalCosina design)
2- Sigma manufactured a lot a lenses for Pentacon veb in the 1975/1990 period when it was an east german company
FIRST zoom for pentacon cameras was the sigma 39/80 but theses lenses have absolutely NO connection with that period

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the bold lettering!

Odd that these lenses apparently are mid 80's yet they have nothing to do with 'that period' when 'that period' would have them slap bang in the middle! lol

This info was obtained from CZJ in UK many moons ago when I contacted their successors for info after seeing such a lens for sale in a store opposite the Fitzwilliam in Cambridge..:

Is the word Jenazoom printed on the barrel of the lens in light blue? Then it is a Sigma-made lens. It was manufactured in the late 1980s for us for the UK market. Other manufacturers were also contracted to produce lenses to our specifications, but they had the lens description engraved using white (Cosina and also Kiron prior to 1988) rather than blue lettering.

PBFACTS wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:
Hi,

I wondered how you came to be certain that Sigma was not the maker?

I have read many sources that would seem to confirm that Sigma did indeed make lenses for the Jena company to be sold in the European (and especially UK) market?

One such reference:

http://www.photography-forums.com/prakticar-carl-zeiss-jena-confused-hereford-t35991.html

As I said I have had the chance to compare two JenaZooms with their 'cousins' from Sigma and the genes whilst not 100% (colour of markings vary) are certainly close siblings?

Doug

Pancolart wrote:
This thing is usually sold as Exakta. This is fake Zeiss for sure. It surely doesn't have anything to do with Sigma either. Just check their 28mm Pentacon replacements and Prakticar ZOOMs. Too shaky even for CHINON and COSINA. It might be early Korean made and exported by Japan. I guess one cannot trust writing Made in Japan that real manufacture was set up there.

1- AGAIN, these lenses were made by Cosina (TypicalCosina design)
2- Sigma manufactured a lot a lenses for Pentacon veb in the 1975/1990 period when it was an east german company
FIRST zoom for pentacon cameras was the sigma 39/80 but theses lenses have absolutely NO connection with that period

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
Astrolupa wrote:
Thank you all for the enlightment, and specially to Seele for posting the photos of catalog. It seems it's a "real" Carl Zeiss lens manufactured with respect for CZ's standards.

Not quite sure I follow, it was certainly not made by Carl Zeiss Question

None of the current Zeiss lenses for SLR cameras are either. They are made made by Cosina - just like Voigtlander. .

+1

Though i doubted this i've seen COSINA branded just like these.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has a 28-135 and wants to sell/trade, PM me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- think it is pretty certain these lenses were not made by CZJ, CZJ did not have much zoom expertise (and not much expertise at all, they made nice stuff but old designs, "innovated" things like the expensive and unwieldy B-mount)

- so CZJ basically sold their good name to slap onto japanese lenses? I always thought that was a 1990 post breakdown issue like the 23-90 "zoom", but if you tell me about 1988 UK I would have to stand corrected

- the lenses have funny fstops like 4.2, should not be too hard to find the originals. Looking at the 75-300 pipe I would say Sigma/Exakta. The optical quality of those could be okay (especially for 1990 epoch).

- KoKo was - hard to describe - a branch of enterprising Party/Stasi companies digging for valuta. You can read it up. They may or may not have been involved here but in any case, they were not the official Foreign Trade Office or Regulators.

- I think I do recall that CZ claims their recent lenses for Sony (A,E mounts) are made in Asia, but under CZ "supervision". I guess that means the design does come from CZ. At least. They are pretty expensive but got good reviews.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Sevo,

Oberkochen never admitted in writing that the lenses fitted to Sony cameras (and perhaps others) were indeed designed by them, the most they were prepared to say was that such lenses were up to the standards befitting the Carl Zeiss label.

Back in January 2011, i met the head of Sony SLR/NEX lens design in Zurich, Switzerland. He was absolutely clear about the fact that he and his co-workers had designed the "Zeiss" lenses for A- and E-mount. These "Sony Zeiss" lenses were - at that time - partly manufactured in-house (Sony), and partly by other companies in Japan, among them Cosina.

It is also well known that the current Sony Master G lenses were developed and manufactured by Minolta.

The Zeiss Batis lenses 2.8/18mm and 1.8/85mm were designed by Tamron, as one can see from their patents.

Rumors say that the Otus series was developped and manufactured by Fuji, but i have no reliable sources for this opinion.

I have no idea about the origin of the Zeiss Loxia series. Does anyone know more...?

Stephan