Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon T-50 Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Canon T-50 Repair Reply with quote

I picked up a T-50 at a local thrift shop for $3. Everything seems to work right, but where you set the ASA.

The lock is in the down position, Which is supposed to be released. It won't pop back up. Also the ASA dial will go in complete circles.
How hard a repair is this, and do I have 1 or 2 things broken.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have one apart before? I was thinking about pulling the top off.
Even if it's broken, if I could get is set at 400 film. It would still be usable.
It's in pretty nice shape. I hope it's fixable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember from a long ago schematic when I was thinking of trying to replace the shutter screen that all that is under there is a spring to force the lock back up/ Perhaps it is simply some spilled sugary liquid or similar under there. A drop or two of isopropyl alcohol might loosen it up?

As with all remarks made by me - Do it entirely at your own risk. Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took it apart. It has two problems. The ASA ring has a tab broken off the bottom.
The ASA spring/ lock had slipped.
To repair it I will have to use a small washer on the spring screw. For now I will set the speed for 400 speed film. The spring lock will keep it in place, but I won't be able to change film speed until the ASA ring is replaced.
The camera tests out fine, even the seals are good. I will have to do a full test with film of course, but I don't expect any problems.Which is good I hate to spend $3 buying a camera thats not fixable. Very Happy
Pic 1 is the correct placement of the ASA spring/lock.
Pic 2 is the ASA ring with broken tab.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to do this repair it's an easy fix if you can find the part.

If your ASA Ring goes in complete circles the tab is broken.

1) Pull up on winder to open back of camera
2) Put a screwdriver thru fork to hold it, and screw of winder.
3) You will see a flat plastic disc with a notch in it. Push a small screwdriver stright into the notch and disc will come off.
4) Pull up on ASA ring to remove it. It will come off with the washer.
5) Replace part and reverse reassemble.

If your ASA lock dosen't work, you need to do the second part of the repair. With the parts metioned above still removed. Follow these steps.
The front must come off before the top does.

1) Don't close the back.
2) On the side of the camera that opens remove the 2 screws, and the screw in plug. You must do this first, because it helps hold the front piece on.
3) Remove the bottom screw and the 2 side screws.
4) Remove the top screw that's just under the red dot. This is a shorter screw so keep it seperatly. IF YOU USE A LONGER SCREW IN THIS HOLE IT WILL DAMAGE THE PRISM.
5) Now you can carefully remove the front piece.
6) Remove the 2 end scews.
7 ) Remove the 2 screws that are around the finder.
8 ) Remove the 2 screws on the front, that were hidden by the front piece.
9) Now you can carefully pull up on the top, be very careful with the wires.
10) By the pic above you can see the placement off the ASA lock / spring.
11) Mine wouldn't stay in place so I used a #2 washer. I didn't have a local source for a micro washer.
12) Push down on corner of spring and test it, if it works properly. Make sure it's in the proper hole.
13) Reverse reassemble.These steps and the steps above.
14) Your done. Very Happy Very Happy

Disclamer

I don't believe I've left anything out. But do this repair at your own risk.
It is very easy to damage your camera so be careful, or leave it to a professional.