Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Serenar 50mm f/1.8 -- it's THAT good.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had it out today

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received mine,
Full of fungus and a bit hazy but for $60 i can live with it.
pulled down cleaned out most of the goobs and a quick dash outside in the diminishing light
grabbed a quick shot i thought was wide but when i looked after was F2.
Still this at ISO 1000.

Bring on tomorrow!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good.
Well done on the clean and lube job too.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Good sharpness at point of focus. It appears that the fungus has had little, if any effect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens too and it works pretty well on film. Sold mine for $70 after I get a copy of 50/1.4 and 50/1.5.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you discovered Canon RF lenses, shhh do not tell anybody Wink

I have the Black 50 1.8 with fine mills, the 50 1.9 Serenar collapsible, the 50 1.5 (Sonnar) and the Black 50 1.4 (Japanese Summilux) and I also have the 35mm 1.8 mentioned in this thread which is a Planar type.

Your lens is made in spring/summer in 1952 and is a Type 2 lens (approx. 22000 copies made). The Type 1 came in 1951. The Type 3 was the first lens without the Serenar name and it came just before christmas in 1952 and have IR-marking (yours do not). The black and satin chrome on alloy 50mm 1.8 came in 1956 and was produced until 1975 (Type 5 to Type 8 ). There was also an optional black lens with black aperture ring and distance scale which was supplied with the black Canon Cameras. They have all the same optical scheme (6:4) and they all have Amber coating.

Anyway, congratz with a nice lens!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is a later version, produced after Canon dropped the Serenar labeling. It is a great all around 50mm. I just had it cleaned (fungus) and even though there is some permanent damage to the coatings you can't tell it in the final images.

I set myself a project this year, to shoot almost exclusively rangefinder lenses with my A7. I already owned several and purchased a few more last December/January. Primarily Canon lenses as the prices are generally lower and the quality is very high. My current Canon LTM kit consists of:

Canon 28mm f2.8
Canon 35mm f1.8
Canon 35mm f2.8
Canon 50mm f1.2
Canon 50mm f1.4
Canon 50mm f1.5
Canon 50mm f1.8
Canon Serenar 50mm f1.9
Canon 85mm f1.8
Canon 100mm f3.5
Canon 135mm f3.5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One another Canon Serenar 50mm 1:1.8 lens review
Nice lens, no issues, cool RF look

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
One another Canon Serenar 50mm 1:1.8 lens review
Nice lens, no issues, cool RF look

Impressive tests of the lenses! I can imagine how much time you spend on this. I just want to fill in that the adapted camera also makes a big difference in some cases.
http://forum.mflenses.com/torture-test-russar-20mm-a7-ii-vs-a7r-iii-t78794.html

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I just want to fill in that the adapted camera also makes a big difference in some cases.

Thank you for good words, and for so important information! Really. I didn't know that A7 III defeated colorshift with adapted wide angle RF lenses. Nice news
Of course you are absolutely right about camera, when I just started to publish reviews, I've tried to research an affect of adapters or color-issues for some lenses, but drop this idea, because in anyway - it's too complicated to make the tests absolutely universal and with unambiguous results. List of impacting factors is long, adaptation of camera are in this list too, and all my tests can be described something like: "This current lens works like on this test results ONLY with this camera, this adapter, this weather, this scene, this sun, this tripod, this season, this my mood etc " Smile