Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon or Sony - I need some advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Canon or Sony - I need some advice Reply with quote

I have a Canon 5DMKII + Canon EF 4/24-105 L IS USM lens but cannot use my favourite legacy glass with it i.e. a selection of Rokkors and Hexanons. I'm considering selling it and purchasing a Sony A6000 plus Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS lens.

Would this be a wise decision or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i think i have the same problem. Many Minolta and Konica lenses, and not a possibility to use them on full-frame.

I use them on a Sony NEX3 now, but since i have the Canon with FF sensor, i hardly use the NEX for serious shooting.

My humble opinion: go for nothing less than full-frame. And that means your choices have been limited to one camera: the Sony A7.

I still don't have one, because i do not want to sell my Canon EF gear and i don't have the budget for an A7 right now. But i am patient, the A7 will be mine one day, just for the Minolta and Hexanon lenses!

One option i have been thinking about, very cheap: the A3000 and an additional speed-booster. I have seen some very great results from these boosters on this forum and the A3000 can be had for a mere 150 euros (second hand).

One other thing: i started to shoot more film with my Minolta and Konica gear! Very Happy (and absolutely love it)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A6000 is a very good camera, I looked at buying a NEX7 buc chose the A6000. It's not FF - but the picture quality is stunning. I have no experience of the Canon to compare it with though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a light combo, the A6000 + Vario-Tessar is a good choice. I can live with my 5N until there is better FF mirror-less.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies. Maybe I should be thinking of changing it for a Sony A7?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Thank you for your replies. Maybe I should be thinking of changing it for a Sony A7?

If you are thinking to "migrate" to a new system altogether, I'd choose one of the sony Full Frame mirrorless cameras.
A cheaper nex (like an F3) could be an addition to your full frame canon with the bonus of huge compatibility.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

If you are thinking to "migrate" to a new system altogether, I'd choose one of the sony Full Frame mirrorless cameras.
A cheaper nex (like an F3) could be an addition to your full frame canon with the bonus of huge compatibility.

+1
I had 5D + Nex3 before my A7. That was a good choice untill I got enough money for an A7.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to the A7.

I have the A7r myself, and at first there was a slight regret over not having gone for the (relatively) cheaper A7, but after some time with it, I can't complain. It has its drawbacks, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Your legacy glass will have a wonderful new lease of life.

Just be careful in your choice of adapters.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from an Eos 1Ds to an A7r and haven't regretted it. I can use my Contax, Tamron and Canon EF lenses on it as well as the FE 35 & 55 lenses. I started out keeping my canon 24-105 but found the AF too slow and have decided to get one of the sony zooms instead. Other than that no regrets, really.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

Rokkors and Hexanons work so well with the A7.