Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon nFD 70 210 f4, 70 150 f4,5 and 75 200 f4,5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't have any experience of these Canon Fd zooms but I can recommend the ubiquitous Vivitar Series 1 70-210, it's a bit of a heavy beast, but performs very well for a vintage zoom. Best of all, it's dirt cheap and easy to find. The first two versions are probably the best, I have three or four of them, acquired when buying job lots and they are well worth keeping and using.

I would guess that the Canon FD 70-210 mm f/4 is a better lens than any of the Vivitar 70-210 mm versions, even though I only have experience with the first (Kiron) and the fourth (Cosina) versions. I feel that they are a little overrated because of "historical " reasons (the Kiron one was the first macro tele zoom with that range...). On the other hand, the FD 70-210 mm f/4 is clearly underrrated at least in France, given that you can still find good samples for 20 or 30 Euros.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 70-210 F4,0 is stunning. Here 70mm F5,6.

[img]Le pont naturel | The natural bridge by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
I would guess that the Canon FD 70-210 mm f/4 is a better lens than any of the Vivitar 70-210 mm versions.[/quote]
I'd second that. I researched all manual lenses in this focal range, and they are either much heavier or much worse optically, or indeed both Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the FD 70-210 has been quite under-rated. In about 2014 when I had an A7r I tested a few lenses in this range at long-ish distances and found the FD 70-210 better than anything I had at the time, apart from the Contax Zeiss 80-200/4. I can't remember all the lenses but it included the Tamron #19AH and a couple of other decent third party lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD 70-210 f4 again. This is a pic of the destroyed Beirut grain silo.

Le silo de Beyrouth en feu | Fire on Beirut grain silo by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same lens, water ski at sunset.

La vague by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens goes to the Alps.

Un rai de lumière | A single ray of light by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
This lens goes to the Alps.

Un rai de lumière | A single ray of light by lumens pixel, sur Flickr

Excellent Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote