Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon nFD 4 200mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Canon nFD 4 200mm Reply with quote

I have had this lens for a while now, but I never posted any photos.
It is a nice, light 200mm lens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a wonderful lens as you have shown, and the internal focusing is light and easy.
It used to sell for peanuts while big money went on the f2.8 versions.
In many ways it is a better lens in my opinion
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people say that the older FD (chrome ring) is a bit sharper although heavy.

I like the nFD. The pics posted are very nice. Seems to be a sharp lens with good resolution power and contrast.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
It is a wonderful lens as you have shown, and the internal focusing is light and easy.
It used to sell for peanuts while big money went on the f2.8 versions.
In many ways it is a better lens in my opinion
Tom

Thank you and I agree with your opinion of it although I have never used the 2.8 version.
It has become my "go to" 200mm.
I still have a Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 200mm 1:4 to try out though.
That does not have internal focusing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Some people say that the older FD (chrome ring) is a bit sharper although heavy.

I like the nFD. The pics posted are very nice. Seems to be a sharp lens with good resolution power and contrast.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with many other FD / nFD lenses, the slide bearings are problematic. Usually they have dissolved, and thus the internal focusing isn't precise any more. You may even get a strong (yet reversible) de-centering. The lens itself is very well corrected, it uses two LD (v=70) elements, but no ULD / fluorite. In addition it's small, lightweight and focuses down to 1.5m. That said, the nFD 80-200m L (with one fluorite and one ULD element) has less CAs @ f=200mm, but also less detail resolution wide open, especially at the borders and in the corners.

S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
As with many other FD / nFD lenses, the slide bearings are problematic. Usually they have dissolved, and thus the internal focusing isn't precise any more. You may even get a strong (yet reversible) de-centering. The lens itself is very well corrected, it uses two LD (v=70) elements, but no ULD / fluorite. In addition it's small, lightweight and focuses down to 1.5m. That said, the nFD 80-200m L (with one fluorite and one ULD element) has less CAs @ f=200mm, but also less detail resolution wide open, especially at the borders and in the corners.

S

Yes.
I have both lenses and they are each quite wonderful.
Neither have the bearing problems that you describe.
I keep reaching for the 4/200 because of its size and convenience, more often than I reach for the zoom
I remember not too long ago, the 4/200 nFD was commonly selling for around US$10, and they can still be found for around the $20 mark
Outstanding value .
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, in Argentina and Uruguay,
you can get it for US$60.

Not cheap, I guess